Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 16 April 2014

following the Romans and Vikings.

Today we got away and were clear of the lock at 0815. We got a bit of a surprise as there was a ship passing Keadby Bar and approaching the lock. She was the 'Rig' and was bound for the wharves at Top Gunness. We went slowly so as the see her swing and she 'banked' to swing. That is to put the bow in the bank and let the current swing the stern round.

Keadby Lock open and ready for us to leave for the River Trent.

 Passing under the road/rail  bridge. The 'Rig' is just about to put the bow in the bank to assist her swing for the berths that are just the other side of the bridge.

We were aiming to get to West Stockwith for about HW which was around 1015. Just to get the idea of how fast we would travel we went a good speed to the M180 bridge. The river is wide and the wind blowing against the tide was cold and caused a few ripples but nothing to cause any trouble as the sun was shining.
Down the Trent near to South Ewster and Susworth.

We adjusted the speed once we realised how we were doing and I would say that our average speed would be just normal canal speed.

Converted old mill south of Owston Ferry.

We kept our eye on the tide flooding up and could see that the tide was slacking. There was no reason to get to the lock whilst the tide was boiling up so arriving a little before high water would make things much easier for entering the lock.

The tide was just enough to nicely turn us round just off the lock. There were folk shouting 'advice' as I approached but I stemmed the tide for a little while to get the feel and then just eased her closer to the lock before putting on the power and going for it. It does lock like you are very close to the lock wall but we got in with no problem.

We had heard that the normal lock keeper here had been found dead in bed on Monday/Tuesday so the flags were at half mast. One of the keeper from Torksey and Cromwell had come up to help out. left the basin and found the water point to fill up and then moved up the cut a little to find a spot where we could get alongside the tow path. We then went to the lock to get a new gas bottle. It seems that the outside loo of the house by the lock had been made good by English Heritage and the house was a gem as it was almost as though a family had not long left. The warehouse where the lockies work is also ripe for doing up. After lunch we decided to go foe a walk to Misterton. We bought some haslet and potted beef and had a good chat with some locals. The River Idle is also navigable but there is a flood barrier at the junction with the Trent and the Environmental Agency ask for more than £100 to lift it.

River Idle with the old pumping house that used to pump the water from the field drainage into the river. Last used in the 1940's and the two beam engines sold for £25! Now a fantastic house with the two buildings connected by a glass building above the drains!

Back at the River Trent is West Stockwith village and the stand out building is the Georgian Church that was built in 1722 after a William Huntingon, who was a ships carpenter of the town, (there was many ship builders here on the Trent), left £740 to build the church and 10 houses for widows of other ship's carpenters. It is very simple but with much plain glass it]s simplicity is very endearing. Just over the road is the White Hart pub.
Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin, West Stockwith.

The pub is attached to the Idle Brewery and they had four of their own beers on. they were running these down as there is a beer festival this weekend and they wont have their own on for space reason. Brian the landlord was very friendly, as were the locals. My favourite beer of those I tried was Idle Dog. We will make a point of stopping her on the way down. Shame to miss the beer festival. A good day on the whole. We also heard today that 'Stanilands' at Thorne had gone bust which is a great shame ass there is history there and lots of boats there too. We will move on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment