Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Into Cheshire.

Once we left Worsley we were quickly into the sights. First up was the Lighthouse at Munton and then quickly followed by the Barton Swing Aqueduct.


Approaching Barton Swing Aqueduct.

After passing the Trafford Centre, with very full moorings, and the huge Kelloggs Factory and warehouse we came to Waters Meeting. And true to form we did meet a boat coming the other way, and we managed to miss each other.


Another Heron, but this one posed!

It was a very long straight through Sale and with the many moored boats we were able to get a very good long look at everything at tick over speed. After Broadheath Bridge that almost looked like a small bridge over the Thames in London, we came across an old dilapidated canal warehouse right next to some very swish new apartments. Hopefully they will be able to save the warehouse too. A further on is the Linotype works that was obviously opened in 1897. Linotype was a method of converting shorthand notes to readable type quickly and legibly by a machine.

Old Canal Warehouse with new apartment blocks near Sale.


Linotype works Broadheath.


Another old canal warehouse near Lymm.

We moored up for the night in Lymm. It is a busy spot but found a mooring near the centre. We had a quick walk into the town for a bit of shopping and then back to the boat to make the most of the cooling evening.


Lymm Market Cross was constructed in the 17th Century and restored in 1897. It has been built on a natural outcrop of sandstone and steps carved into it.


Just a quick refreshment after a long day.

After an evening meal we went for a walk to find the dam. We walked up the Dingle until we came to the old turnpike road and crossed to the Dam. The building of the turnpike meant that the stream  and its valley had to be crossed so the Dam was constructed.


Lymm Dingle.


Lymm Dam and church, oh and Helen.

There is an underbridge that runs from the town centre under the canal just by our mooring and leads to the Lymm Gorge. Down here there used to be that was there at least in 1751. It was beautiful cool, still and quiet in the evening.


Lymm Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment