Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 September 2014

Painting weather.

I thought I would take some photos of the engine hole to show what I did yesterday.

The green circular item at the top of the picture in the PRM 1500 gear box. The Worn nut mid top left is the oil filler and dip stick for the gear box. You can maybe see that the bottom of the gear box is only an inch or so above the base plate so difficult to get anything under to catch the oil when the sump plug is removed.

This is the oil pump that removes the dirty oil from the sump. The knurled cap is removed and then the butterfly valve at the mid bottom of the photo is turned and then the handle is moved up and down and the oil will come out of the spout.

This is the oil filter at the back or the engine. It's position is awkward for catching the residual oil when it is removed.

The red filter in the middle of the picture is the fuel filter. The original one was larger and green. I couldn't budge it and had to get a yard to take it off for me. The new filters are smaller and so easier to take out as the large one was right up against the dip stick (the looped item just to the right of it). The black pan shaped object just below it is the air filter. I opened it up and just moved it round so that a different part is opposite the intake.

This morning I set to finishing the rust removal and touching up with rust converter. After I had done that I went into the town to buy some food. I also found the DIY shop. What an Aladdin's cave of a place it is. They must have just about everything that you could want. There is hardly room to move about. The staff are very helpful and seem to know where everything is located. There are no prices on anything so you have to ask at the till.

Mid morning the boats astern of me moved off so I man hauled Holderness back a bit so that I had sun on the panels for a much longer part of the day.

The touched up seating area on the st'bd side.

After lunch I sanded down all the paint work that was to be painted and then wiped it dust free with white spirit. I then used a rust proofing undercoat on the area. Eventually it will all be painted green again.

The 'cockpit' painted with the rust proof undercoat ready for top coat, after a final sanding down.

It has been such a lovely day and I had finished the after end by about 1600 I thought I would fettle the boot topping. The bank is it a good height for it and with a couple of fenders holding the side from the grass edge it was too good an opportunity to miss. I had some bitumen paint and so cut the top in with a brush and then rolled in the rest. It took less than two hours and it is the job that for the least effort has the maximum impact on smartening the boat up. We will have to moor port side to every time now. At least until I can get round to do the other side.

Port side blacked now, and looking smart.

No comments: