Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Forward planning.

It is official that this September has been the driest since records began at the start of the 20th Century. I have been trying to think back to when we last had any significant rain when we underway and I think back to a torrential downpour when we were on the Trent between Newark and Hazelford Lock. I got wet through to the skin that time, and that was back on 9th June. However I struggle to think of another time when we had to dive for cover or just didn't bother for the  day. However it did make think about our trip to the north. We will be using the Peak Forest and Macclesfield canals as well as the heavily locked and underwatered Huddersfield Narrow Canal. I had a quick lock on the reservoir watch section on the C&RT website and found the we should be okay as Peak Forest and Macclesfield reservoirs are over half full and the Huddersfield Narrow 70% full in September. The worst they have been was 30% in 2003 for the Peak and Macclesfield and 17% for the Huddersfield Narrow last year. That was because work was being carried out  on the reservoir though. If we have a dry winter there could be restrictions next year I  am thinking.

We wont be going very far if it is like this on the Huddersfield.

I understand that it is Freeky Friday at Midland Chandlers and so I am racking my brains to see if there is anything we need as we will be passing Braunston on Friday. I will have to think hard I think and then check on line to make sure that it is cheaper at Midland Chandlers even with the 20% off. I am wondering whether to get some Fuel Set fuel additive to does our tank with as we purchase fuel and for when we leave it over the winter. When we do leave it we always fill the diesel tank right to the top so there is no air gap. It is in that gap where the air may condense and the water can only go into the tank. Where there is water in the bio-diesel that  is supplied these days there is a chance that bugs can propagate and cause problems with blocked filters and needing a complete clean of the tank and a polish of the fuel. Fuel Set (other brands are available) is supposed to  kill the bugs, enclose any water so that it is burnt along with the rest of the fuel and other additives clean and condition the system. It reminds me of STP that was sold for cars a good while ago. (It seems that you can still get it). You only need 1:4000 dose so not much for a narrow boat really. I will have to see what the price is when we get there.

I have an oil change to do too as I now have the oil filter to do the job, and there are bound to be a few other jobs that I can do. I may see if they have a spare stove glass of the right size as it would be bad to be without the fire through the winter. The trouble is when you go in to purchase two items they are banking on you coming out with a few more!


No comments: