Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Change of plans.

We had decided to go to Syon House today as it was the first day it had been opened. Over breakfast we also settled on the plan to go back to Limehouse and then up to Paddington so Amy could see the Regents canal, do some locks and be close to the station for her train on Friday.

Syon House is owned by the Percy family who are the Dukes of Northumberland. They also have Alnwick Castle. The place started as a St. Bridgettine Abbey and then was handed over to the crown with the dissolution. In the end it became the centre of intrigue for the court of the Tudors as the Percy's were close to the crown. In fact the closeness continued as the Princess Victoria stayed here with the Duchess acting as her governess to to coach her in readiness for her coronation. The  last Duke and Duchess had the last King George VI and his family at their wedding.

The conservatory is absolutely gorgeous and was the first of its size in the world. They also supplied vine cuttings from here to start the  wine growing in Australia. The gardens were also beautiful

The conservatory helped to inspire the design of the Crystal Palace too, and you can see why.

Going on our departure yesterday I thought that that we would leave Thames lock about 1545 but as the lock keeper didn't come on until I couldn't check.  I thought that we would have to be at Limehouse about 1900 but when I called them they said they would not let me in after 1800. We therefore left as soon  as we could and actually entered the river at 1500. The tide was running strongly but we seemed to be doing okay.

Amy took the helm and did very well avoiding all the buoys etc but she did even better avoiding all the rowers that were on the river from the various schools boat clubs. They did seem to have many safety boats and as they mostly row backwards they can't see where they are going! Sometimes we had to leave them to port, and sometimes to st'bd and sometimes we went between them.

Detail of Hammersmith Bridge. (I think) that was built in 1883 by Bazalgette.

I was monitoring the speed and distance to go as the tide changed and our speed picked up, but it seemed that we would not make it until after the deadline of 1800. I increased the revs on the engine to 2500 rpm and we seemed to be flying. I was also cutting the corners rather than following the middle of the line. The traffic was pretty light, even the ferries seemed to be away somewhere. However when we got lower down the easterly wind over the outgoing  tide caused the waves to build up a little and made it quite exciting.

Vauxhall Bridge with the two tonne bronze statue of Architecture with a model of St. Pauls in her hand.
The evening sun was just right to illuminate Canary Wharf to best effect and display the sky line at its best. We crossed over the river behind the two ferries in the photo to get to Limehouse Lock on the north bank.

We had made it by the skin of our teeth. 1750 and we were there. The lock crew were quite firm about closing up at 1800 regardless. After this photo things went a little wrong. I had intended to swing round to port and stem the tide before letting us be set in slowly into the entrance of the lock. Instead I thought i would run in, at speed to compensate for the current. All went well until the bow got further into the lock and out of the tide. However the stern was still in the tide and no matter what I did the bow swung to port. We clattered the wall a bit and we bounced of and were then into the lock safe and  sound. I did wonder if we were going to make it and I didn't fancy a night out on the pontoon that you can see on the right as it would be quite bouncy through the night. All that was hurt was my pride. This  was the maneuver we had to do to get a big ferry into Immingham Lock on the ebb on the Humber. I made the mistake of allowing others to pressurise me into changing my plans at the last minute.

We were soon out of the lock and went straight to the jetty to take water as were were very low. There was a GRP yacht right next to the berth and with the wind on to the jetty the bloke on the sailing boat came out to make sure I didn't damage his boat. I'm pleased to say I managed to complete this job with ease and redeemed myself a little. We had Joe aboard for a good curry tea and he brought beer and cider and some strawberries  for pud. He can come again.

Just for Joe's Dad, 'don't forget  to wash your hands now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh sounds like you have had a couple of exciting days! Although I am not too sure how being on the River Thames on your little narrow boat with waves can be classed as exciting!

Anonymous said...

Hands washed and ship shape captain!

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Such adventures, Tony and Helen, I am envious and awed. I am not sure David and I have the intestinal fortitude to give that a go just yet! We are now on our way south - Braunston and through the tunnel tomorrow, then further down the GU. Are you coming back up the GU or the Oxford? Will we meet up?
Big hugs to you both, M&D

NB Holderness said...

Pleased to hear it. Thanks for reading. Tony