Total Pageviews

Monday 15 September 2014

Bridge the gap.

We had a quick walk into Kings Langley to but a pork pie or something for tea. We were off though by 0945 and started on the climb to the Tring Summit. The weather warmed up quickly and there was even a bit of sun in the end.

A bridge at Nash Mills Lock, I think.

As we went up Apsley Locks I spied a pallet in in the C&RT compound. I asked the blokes there if I could have it and they were pleased to get rid of it. I put a half burned leather bikers jacket that we fished out of the cut in the skips. I was curious as to why it had been burned and what happened to the the person inside?

There is definitely a tinge of autumn in the air despite the temperature. There are loads of horse chestnuts trees with loads of conkers on them. I have never seen so many. The leaves do seem a little mottled and they are the first that have turned brown. We are collecting the conkers to sew up in little bags to see if they story that they keep spiders out of the boat.


We came to Winkwell Swing bridge. On the way south it had just been fixed when we passed. This time all seemed to be well as I opened it. When Helen had driven through I tried to close it again and noticed that the power light was out. It seemed that the area had experienced a short power cut. When it came on the barriers came up, despite the bridge being open. I then couldn't then close it. It seems this is a usual occurrence at this bridge. After calling C&RT I had a fiddle about and managed to close the bridge after about 15 mins, but I couldn't get my key out! In the end they arrived quickly and I got my key back. It seems ever since a major refurbishment of the bridge it breaks down regularly.

Unlike some other canals the lock cottages on the Grand Union are very varied. This one is just outside Berkhamsted and was just about to be sold again.

An old warehouse at Port Berkhamsted has had a bit of a make over. We stopped for water after the third lock and dumped the rest of the rubbish. We then moved on a little and found a mooring. We went to the station and picked up our tickets and then went for a drink at the Crown, a Weatherspoons. We managed a medium glass of wine and a pint of Armadillo from Tring Brewery for £4-20!








No comments: