Total Pageviews

Thursday, 27 June 2013

Separate Ways.

After writing the blog last night we went for a walk around Albert Dock and the Pier Head to test our new camera and take some air. It was a cold wind but the evening light was beautiful. Having viewed them on the computer they seem to be nice and crisp.

Writing the blog.

Albert Dock. Opened in 1846 and in 1848 the world's first hydraulic cranes were fitted. It was closed in 1972 and eventually reopened in 1984 as a major tourist attraction and catalyst to the re-energising of Liverpool.

Detail of monument to all lost Marine Engineers. This was bought by subscription following the sinking of the Titanic. 244 engineers lost their lives in that incident in 1912. Later the Memorial was rededicated to all the Marine Engineers that lost their lives in WWI. It was of extra interest as our son has just passed his exams as a Marine Engineer and just has his Oral exam to take before becoming qualified and off to sea.

A mountain of Portland stone with the Royal Liver Insurance building to the left, the Cunard Building in the middle and the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board building on the right. They make a fantastic show at the Pier Head.

Just over the Strand, the main road along the waterfront, is Albion House which was the headquarters for the Ismay, Imrie Shipping Company that later became the White Star Shipping Company Building. White Star owned the Titanic. When it sank in 1912 the officials of the company were intimidated by the crowds waiting for news outside in the street so the went to the middle balcony to read out the lists of the lost.

Albert Dock in the evening sun.

We had decided that Helen would have a day window shopping and mooching about in town today whilst I stayed aboard and did some jobs and today was the day. My first job was to trace the leak in the shower. It took me some time and some destruction to access the problem area. I was not impressed with the workmanship in this case as there was almost 1cm gap in one place that meant that the sealant was always going to be struggling to remain watertight. Hopefully I will have managed to halt the problem by the end of the day. Helen came back with blouses and bit and news of some sandals that she liked but hadn't bought. With everything still in bits and tools and sawdust scattered everywhere I sent her back out to get them to give me more time to get tidied up. She didn't complain too much. It started to rain just before lunch and only stopped after tea time.

It should look like a repair job, rather than a demolition job.


  1. The photos from the new camera are looking good, although Tony is looking very surprised on the first one!

    LOL Helen, next time Tony sends you out while he does jobs go looking at diamonds, he might send you back out to buy them!


    1. Helen has complete control of the purse strings and I'm sure that if she felt that diamonds were appropriate she would go for it. On the other hand it is her turn to stay aboard next time. We hope the house is going well.

      Cheers for now, Helen and Tony.