Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 August 2015

Hats off.

Well today has been a bit of a lost day. I didn't get much sleep last night so I haven't had much energy for anything today. I did go for a walk when the sun came out and wandered down through Brindley Place.

Description: canal1small
Brindley Place looking north in around 1970's. Old Turn Junction is at the end.

Description: canal1new
Roughly the same photo taken 30 odd years later. You can see the roving brick bridge in the centre of the photo.

Description: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\canal 197-\canal5small.jpg
This is the top of the Farmer's Bridge locks with Cambrian Wharf in around 1970's.

Description: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\2012-02-19 canal\canal5new.jpg
Same location 30 years later with not a lot changed on the whole.
These photos are taken from www.normanfield.com 

I walked to the Bull Ring Markets via Brindley Place and the Mail Box. We have moored down here so I was having a look to see what it was like. It years since we passed that way. The Mailbox has loads of places to eat and seems to be a quick route through to New Street Station.

There seems to be a steady stream of boats going down the Farmer's 13 in the morning and coming up in the afternoon. I have a bit of fun watching boats coming in to moor at Cambrian Wharf. Today the hirer boaters have been much better at the task. A couple of privateers have made to come and moor in the corner. They haven't really assessed the length of their boat and when they have threaded their way there they have found there isn't enough space for them. I don't mean to say that they have banged and crashed about but that was maybe only that they were using the thruster a lot. I have also seen loads of people wearing gloves! I really couldn't wear gloves to do anything as I always seem to be having to take them off to do anything at all fiddly. Same as I couldn't wear a leather that, not because they are horrible, but that everybody else wears them if you see what I mean. There are some things that seem to be a boaters uniform so that is the sort of thing I would shy away from.

Image result for leather hats
This is the sort of thing I mean.

I do have a bit of a dilemma with hats as when we are underway I wear an old cap that the kids bought me years ago when on holiday to stop my bald head getting burned. I wouldn't ever walk around in a baseball cap though. When it is cooler I wear a flat cap but I need to find a style of hat that I can wear in the sun for 'best'. It has to be easily folded away and stuffed in a pocket so none of the above, or a straw hat type thing as it would get mucky also. I will have to keep looking. Or find a lightweight flat cap. As much as to protect my pate from the sun a hat is useful to keep the sun out of my eyes.

It is always difficult to get used to being on my own at night so with luck I will do better tonight. I'm not really sure why this should be as a must have been apart from my wife for around half of our married life!

No comments: