Total Pageviews

Friday 21 August 2015

Bits and bobs.

We haven't had much sun today but it has been nice and warm. Helen made one of her superb lemon drizzle cakes and whilst she was doing that I got looking through my note books. I have made a note of every pub I have been to and every pint that I have had. I know it sounds a little anal but it is for a reason, honestly! It seems that since April 1st I have been to 70 pubs and drunk 100 pints of bitter. This is 100 pints in 142 days so works out at 0.7 pints a day! That doesn't sound very good does it. But then when I think that even if you count 0.7 pints as two units that means I have had 1.4 units a day. The recommendation is for men to have no more that 3 to 4 units a day so I have been within tolerances and as it hasn't been every day, or in serious binge periods I feel that I have been entitled to say I have enjoyed the variety of beers around the country.

After lunch we walked back into Knowle via a different route to buy some food stuffs and a couple of articles that we had seen at a Charity shop. The maize isn't fully ripe yet but it is still much taller than  Helen.

When we got back I had a cup of tea and set to work sorting out the engine hole. This is the stuff from the shelf that used to house the batteries. I have enough oil for the next oil change which is imminent plus some empty containers to put the waste oil in. I have a few too many of the later so I can make a little more room by donating them to the recycling.

 Helen demanded that we had a TV this year so that she could watch the occasional 'can't miss' programmes. One of those is the 'Bake Off' so I have been erecting the equipment each Wednesday for a few weeks now. I have used an extending pole with a simple aerial on top. The aerial connection one here is at the front of the boat. At the base I thread the pole through a traffic cone that I rescued from the cut and the base also sits snugly in the circular holes of the rubber mat on the fore deck.

I didn't want to drill holes in the hull or any where else if I could help it. So I came up with this idea. A section of scaffolding board, the metal bound end, with a slot cut out of it and a bar across to stop the pole coming out. Then the board is clamped to the deck head edge by two clamps from Wilco. The hole only takes five minutes to put up and take down so I am well pleased that it works well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet Helen is well pleased with it too, what with Doctor Who and Strictly starting soon!

Richard has mad a note of the idea and a note on how much bitter he can drink if he has a narrowboat!

Ann x

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann, I'm not sure about Dr. Who but it would be a capital,offence if she didn't get 'Strictly' in. Richard will have to also undertake all the physical work that I do on the canal to be able to imbibe the full quota of ale.

Has he thought of a wide beam?

Cheers, Tony and Helen.