Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 August 2015

Busy Braunston, as usual.

I got up early today to get to Braunston Junction before the rush started as I had to moor at Midland Chandlers to land my faulty battery. A boat had passed us going the other way just after 0500 otherwise I was the the next one moving. It was an absolutely lovely morning and it was a real pleasure to be under way. I usually dislike this stretch of canal as there are so many boats moored that it seems to take for ever to get to Braunston. This morning however until much closer there was very little moving and I was soaki ng up the very special light in the morning sun. I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't take any photos. When we got to Braunston there was a boat on the Chandler's moorings but we moored up alongside them.

The faulty battery had lost all the acid from one cell, twice. I didn't want it to get so bad that the plates buckled and shorted the battery so took it out and bought a new one. Never a good idea to mix age batteries mind. I had filled the dry cell with water once disconnected and it retained the fluid so as the acid had been dumped in the boat, twice, it must only occur when being charged. Anyway it isn't supposed to happen. I called the branch of Midland Chandlers where I bought it and they said to return it and they would credit me with the cost. When I called the Braunston branch it was slightly different. They would have to send it back to the maker to check whether it was faulty production before the credit. That means that it will be a couple of weeks before I hear anything. If it is found faulty I can get the credit easily enough. If somehow they declare it fine I will get my battery back but I will have to collect it! I can have it returned at any branch of Midland Chandlers. We will see what occurs.

It didn't take too long and then we moved off up the arm until a free mooring in the sun opposite the Boathouse pub. After an early start I took it easy and after a late breakfast went up into the village to buy supplies. Once we got back we just read and pootled about until after lunch and then decided to walk up to the Lord Nelson pub for a pint. I had forgotten that there was a festival going on outside the pub and in the field across the locks. As we passed the bottom lock we could hear the music.

The main stage is across from the pub and the field before it, accessed from dark Lane was filling up with cars. Parking was free but £7 to get in. We finally got to the pub to pay £6 for a pint of beer and a half of cider! We didn't stay.

There was another small stage outside the pub too for those too mean to pay the entrance fee.

We wandered back into the village to get the things we had forgotten in the morning and headed back to the boat to do some more reading. We went via the marina as we wanted to see if they had this months freebie canal papers

Braunston Marina has some nice buildings from when the Grand Junction Canal finished here. This building is one of the three dry docks here.

Originally the canal was a contour canal and it came under the iron bridge, dated 1814 and disappeared to the south. When the canal was straightened out this length was disused and the canal now goes down to the junction to the left. To the right it goes up to the locks and Braunston Tunnel. As well as the bridge is the travelling crane. In the distance can be seen All Saints Church and the top of an old windmill.

This was the original Toll house and was built in 1796. It was in use as such up to the end of the 1800's. It was re-opened in 1990 as offices for British Waterways.

A better picture of All Saints Church.

No comments: