Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 May 2015

When the cat's away.

Yesterday we had a lazy start to the day as we were going to meet our daughter from the train at New Street Station. We were also picking up tickets for future journeys that had been ordered on line and picked up later. Once we had returned to the boat and had a bit of lunch Amy had a bit of a sleep and then it was time for them to get ready to go off to see 'Take That' at the NEC. They caught the train from new Street again. It will be a great change once it is finally finished, which I think is supposed to be the end of this year. The area around is also dug up and by the look of it they are putting a tram line in to the city centre from the existing line from Snow Hill Station to Wolverhampton. No doubt this will have various extensions over the years.

Birmingham's tram system.

After I had dropped them off I had planned to go out and look for a few pubs for real ale. I headed past Colmore Row and the Cathedral Park and stopped at the Old Royal. It was quite okay with a good choice of beers on at a reasonable price, £2-75. The windows have stained glass of Royal coats of arms and there are pictures of the Royal Family on the walls. The place was full of big TV screens and as it was the football on I didn't linger but walked on to the next on my short list.

The Old Royal.

Next stop was the Old Contemptible's, a Nicholson's pub. It was a much more 'modern pub but with that old feel. Again there was a good choice of beers but the place is more for eating. The price was also going up too. £3-65 this time.

The Old Contemptible's.

After this stop I headed home and thought I may make one more stop. I passed the Old Joint Stock pub and decided to pop in for a look at the great building from the inside. It had been a bank and now housed the pub and a theatre. The interior did not disappoint. There were a fair few beers on and being a Fuller's pub a good range of their products were available but I soon had to head to the fresh air after paying £4-05 for a pint. I nearly fainted. 

The Old Joint Stock pub in Birmingham.

I then went to find my last stop, the Wellington. It was just round the corner and again I nearly fainted, but this time when being presented with a choice of sixteen beers! How do you choose? I would like to say that I started at the beginning of the the alphabet with Ambridge Brewing Company of Warwickshire, but I just am an Archer's fan! I had every intention of going home then but got chatting to a couple of lads from Coventry and had a great evening talking of this and that and before I new it it was 2200! 

Sixteen beers at the Wellington ranging in price from £2-60 to £4-50.

I got back to the boat in time to have a bite to eat and then set off back to New Street to meet the girls off the train. They had had a good time and the show was  brilliant, apparently. We were soon turned in as we were all tired.

No comments: