Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 May 2015

Flagging.

I set to early to start to clean the boat through. After breakfast I started at the bow and worked aft. I must say by the time I had finished the boat looked lovely and smelt nice and clean too. I managed to get to Sainsbury's bang on 1000 when it opened to find that the car park was very busy and that the store was thronged. I didn't impress the lady on the 'basket only' as I paid for my paper and some potatoes with all the change that Helen had left me. £3-50 in small change. Many shops are quite pleased to obtain change as they have to pay a bank if they need to get some out. However I suppose that would be small stores rather than national supermarkets. It is surprising who much small change is accumulated.

After my cleaning I had time to take off the masking tape and clean up the edges. In actual fact the tape was quite difficult to get off and even took off some paint that will need to be touched up. I have gone off painting altogether and will only do small areas from now. I then managed to sit down and read the paper.

Since getting our East Yorkshire flag I have noticed more often the flags that adorn other boats. In this neck of the woods there is one that is seen a lot. It is the flag of the Black Country. It seems that in 2012, which was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic Games in London, there was a campaign to encourage regions to develop their own flag. The Black Country Living Museum started a competition for the design. In the end Gracie Sheppard won. The flag is based on a quote from 1862 when an American in the area said that 'it was black by day and red by night'. The white is in the shape of a glass cone that was one of the prominent industries of the area just as the chain was also made widely in the area. It seems that the flag was unveiled on Black Country Day 14th July 2014.

The Black Country flag.

Astern of us is a boat flying the following flag. When I asked I was told that it was the Norfolk County Flag. When I have checked up it appears that it is no such thing. It is in fact the Norfolk County Council flag.

The Norfolk County Council flag.

It seems that the 'official' Norfolk flag was adopted following the same initiative in 2012 that created the Black Country banner. It was adopted in 2014 and is based on the arms of the First Earl of Norfolk Ralph de Gael from 1071 to 1075.


NORFOLK COUNTY FLAG (2)
The actual Norfolk County Flag.

I then checked out when our new East Riding of Yorkshire flag was adopted.  It seems that we were a little ahead of the other two as it was adopted in 2013. It seems that the blue represents the sea and it's trade and the green the rich agricultural land. Further to this the blue is at the hoist to emphasis the 'oneness' with the rest of Yorkshire. (The Yorkshire flag has a completely blue background) and the green is at the fly to show that the East Riding is to the east! Also it should be noticed that the rose itself is an East Riding one as it is displayed with a sepal at the top rather than a petal like the other Yorkshire roses. Who would have thought that you could learn this from the flags on the back of boats. I have also learned that there is an East Riding of Yorkshire day. Now I knew that Yorkshire Day was 1st August, but Est Riding Day is 24th August. This date was decided on as it was the birthday of William Wilberforce, son of Hull, who was born in 1759.

East Riding Flag
East Riding of Yorkshire flag.

The Yorkshire flag to show the difference in the roses.

It seems that there are several county's that do not yet have their own flag so check it out and send in your designs.

It is great to have Helen back aboard. I will probably eat better now and have so better conversations as Macy the Cat doesn't often chip in, except at meal times!

No comments: