Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 May 2015

Paint and prattle.

Well it has just started raining at 1800. I was expecting it but I am glad it didn't start any earlier as it has given the first coat of undercoat a bit of time to go off. That means that it shouldn't be too pitted so will only need a light sand down before the next coat tomorrow. I must say it took longer than I thought it would.

Same as previous views for comparison. 

I must say that it looks loads better when not in close up. Another undercoat will give a very good cover.

It has been pretty busy with boats passing in both directions today. Quite a lot make use of the mooring to pop to do a shop at Sainsbury's and then move on but three boats seemed to have moored here for the night today, where as I was on my own last night. A week or so ago I changed four batteries. I still have them in the engine hole and I found them a bit of an encumbrance when I was changing oil and filters a couple of days ago. Being from Yorkshire I'm sure that they are worth a few bob from a scrap merchant so rather than find a council tip area to drop them off I am hoping to find a scrap dealer next to the canal that accepts them. The distance I am prepared to take them is probably in direct ratio to the price I will get for them. Does anybody know how much a 12V battery is worth for scrap these days? I am thinking that if I can get about £20 for the four that would make the cost of them sound a little better. I will need to get the out of the engine hole in any case before we take to the Severn Estuary as I wouldn't want them careering around down there in a sea way.

I have just had my five minutes of fame too. I have been interviewed on the radio. Well Radio Humberside to be exact. We are setting up a society to highlight the Hull company of old, United Towing. Membership opens today so they were responding to our press release. When I say five minutes of fame that would be a  maximum! I had prepared all sorts of interesting stories and assembled the information required to join but it seemed to be over before it had begun. Still they do say that all publicity is good publicity so I shouldn't complain.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another dry day so the second undercoat will go on. Friday is due to be wet so the inside jobs can be done and then Saturday for the top coat so it all looks nice for the arrival of Helen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tony. Richard says that you have to pay to have batteries environmentally disposed of nowadays! So you have to pay money and not receive money! He keeps saying about sending you an email with his thoughts on your battery re-wiring. He said hopefully at the weekend x

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann,
I think at the worst you could take them to a council tip (like Staithes Road, Hedon) and leave them there for free. I hope that that he will not be charging me his professional rates. It cost me last time he helped out. Shouldn't complain as it did work. Hope you are both well. Cheers Tony.

Unknown said...

Hi Tony, here is a web site that will show you the best way to connect your battery bank. www.smartguage.co.uk/batt_con.html
Angela