Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 June 2016

Waiting for weather.

Last night it was lovely and calm and the haunting calls of the curlews got me outside to soak up the evening, and Macy came with me.

Macy must have read my other blog as last night she found her little toy mice and kept us awake playing with it, stalking it and pouncing and then batting it away and starting again. She does like a dog free towpath. Not that there are many around as most boats seems to have at least one dog aboard and then there is the stationary populations.

The clouds broke up and the sun forced a way through in spots. 

These young bullocks found their way into the field opposite us and you could hear the ripping and munching very easily in the quiet of the night.

In a break from the rain and drizzle this morning I walked back into Cropredy for the paper. It was due to rain for most of the morning and a paper would while away the hours till the tap was turned off. We weren't due to arrive in Banbury until 1400 to 1500. We set off about 1245 in the last bit of the drizzle but I didn't have to wear a waterproof. Here we are at the first lock of the day, Slat Mill Lock.

I liked the fact that everything seems to be contact and in good condition. I'm not sure of the names but the actually cill is protected by the metal shield that is attached to the timber. I assume that timber is used as it will have a certain shock absorption property

It is pure smugness that ensures that boaters seem to always take photos of the motorway as they pass under them. Motorways are great; they are the safest roads in the country and they get you where you want to be quickly but they aren't that full of character. I think of the rivers Severn and Trent as the Motorways of the canals as they do the same. I'm not sure about the rivers been safer than the canals though.

Just after the last lock of the day was this sign welcoming us to Banbury and boats were appearing moored up now.

Looking back to Hardwick Lock.

We were soon at Sovereign Wharf and attempting to moor up in the spot we had been designated. We were only just in and touching fenders, and worse my shore cable couldn't reach the socket ashore! Just as I got to the office Charlotte from the yard arrived and we did the paperwork and she allowed us to move to another berth where the shore power was nearer the after end for us. Her and her husband Ian have moored here for many years but only last year did they take over the running of the Wharf. We thought that they had laid on a brass band for a welcome as we pulled in. The music and commentary were coming from Spiceball Park opposite as it was Banbury Carnival and Queens Birthday celebrations. It is a shame about the weather but there seemed to be a good crowd.

It looks like C&RT have hit upon a money saving scheme and stop any complaints about Fountains the contractors. The tow path here-abouts has loads of bunnies doing what they do best. No, not that, I meant eating grass!! I suppose they are the canal equivalent of motorway bunnies as they must be always having to stop and hide with the use of the tow path.

If the weather gets drier I thought I would treat Helen to a meal out as I know where Weatherspoon's is. Really it is as we have nothing to eat in the boat with us going home for a few days.

No comments: