Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 June 2016

Not to plan, again.

We didn't have far to go today as we were just venturing to near the top of the Hatton Locks so that Helen could go to the shopping outlet close by whilst I got on with some engine maintenance. The day was certainly better than the previous one for the work.

The rolling countryside is looking very green with the leaves on the trees and grass ready for taking the silage crop, along with the wild flowers.

Just as we were about to leave a hire boat approached so I waited for them to pass before peeling off and following them. A little later, as we were in no rush the hire boat had pulled away from us. A little later a man marched past us with a shopping back and when I looked back there were a couple of ladies following. The bloke slowed and asked me if I would sound our horn to attract the attention of the hire boat as they weren't able to catch up with them. It seems that they had got off at the tunnel to go to the shop in the village. The idea was that the boat would go slowly and they would catch them up. It didn't seem like the hire boat heard us so the man marched off in hot pursuit. We took pity on the ladies and offered them a lift as we knew that they would have to stop at the locks. We went past out preferred mooring and found that they had pulled over. There were some dark klooks and raised voices when we transferred our passengers. One of the ladies said that she had done 31/2 miles chasing them!! We pulled over straight away and had a cup of tea. Such excitement.

It was oil and filter change time and so once Helen had gone to the shops I set to. I started with the gear box oil change. The hole is actually where the dip stick goes. I find it extremely difficult to see any oil showing on the stick so I usually have to roll it on some kitchen roll to see where it is up to. I have now started to drop the oil into a shallow pan and then suck it out of there which works well for me, and hopefully also gets any sludge etc coming out the bottom too.

My next job was to be the engine oil. This is usually the easy bit as it is just a matter of using the built in pump straight into an empty oil carrier. I fell at the first hurdle. The sump drain pump is in the  and photo above in the top right corner. You can see the knurled cap on the outlet and the butterfly open/closed valve below and the actual handle right at the top. I have never had a problem before but I just couldn't get it to work at all. I took it out of the clamps and hoped that dipping it below the sump level may prime it but nothing. There was no pressure difference with the valve open or closed so I am suspecting the pump. I located the sump plug and was tempted to drop all the oil out that way but then thought I will seek advice first. I took the opportunity to clean out all the drainage channels and clean the engine hole. I also re filled the stern greaser and nipped up the stern gland nuts. I re routed the bilge pump discharge hose and even tested the pump, something I have never done before. Luckily it was all okay. I then cleaned out the old batter area and then emptied the new battery locker and checked the batteries. Again all seemed fine. I then cleaned everything up and stowed the tools etc and then we locked up and went to the cafe at the top lock for an ice cream and to dump the rubbish.

In the distance from the fourth lock down, through the trees can be seen the former Central Hospital. Construction started in 1846 and it was then called the Warwick County Lunatic Asylum. At it's height it had 1600 patients and 375 acres of land. That allowed the staff and inmates to man the three farms and almost be self sufficient in food. There were also sports fields. The patients had plenty of freedom in the grounds and the regime was quite liberal for the times with dances and plays etc. At the end of their life they had even had coffins made by the inmates. The land was sold off in 1973 and the hospital closed in 1995. Many of the buildings were knocked down other than the listed buildings and an estate built there.

Nicknamed the 'stairway to heaven' the locks run down to Warwick. The 'candles' on either side are the hydraulic mechanisms for raising/lowering the paddles.

The new wide locks were opened in 1934. During their construction the original single locks were kept open until the new ones were open. You can see the original locks to the right of the one above the pound.

 This sculpture is by Gideon Petersen and really sets of the side pound near the C&RT offices.

This cottage looks like in a great spot but could do with a bit of work.

On the way back we passed a Wyvern Shipping Hire boat that had moored up ahead of us. We asked if they were looking for a lock buddy in the morning. The up shot is that we will be up early as they want to get off at 0800!!

1 comment:

Adam said...

Those GU paddles are not hydraulic -- they're a mechanical worm gear.