Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 June 2016

Non boaty bits.

Not much to report today as we are at home. I don't mean that I have not done anything but maybe not stuff that may be of interest to folk expecting to read a 'boaty blog'. The truth is that I have been catching up on correspondence and the like and giving my self back ache as I hand pick the weeds out of our gravel drive and out of the cracks between the pavers forming our patio at the back. Being on your hands and knees for several hours is not my bodies idea of fun these days. I spent many many hours in that same position whilst chipping and painting many a ship's deck in the past but not these days.


This is not my drive I hasten to add as if it was I would have 'staff' to remove the weeds.


Again not my patio but this indicates the level of contamination in certain areas.

One of the main reasons that we have all come home this time as Helen and friends are off to see Rod Stewart at the KC Stadium here in Hull. She was quite giddy about it all before she left. I hope that it doesn't bucket it down with rain later as it started off being a lovely evening for it. I have to go and collect them about 2330.

I reckon I would have gone if she had asked me!

Another reason we came home was to ensure we collected our EU referendum votes. I posted them today. I am not really a political animal but for what it is worth I am for remaining. The primary purpose of the EU to be set up was to prevent future troubles between the nations of Europe, and from what that led to in the 20th Century. I think the problems that are perceived to be caused by belonging to the EU can be fixed in this country by a little imagination and willingness. It also seems to be a curious time to be leaving when it seems that many of the other states making up the EU are now also wanting to halt the march to unification and making the money go further etc. My main fear about leaving is that we will become a little England, as Scotland will certainly have the ammunition to leave our Union, and we will become an isolationist country like North Korea! Well not really like that but maybe like the USA where it seems a minority have a passport and many never leave their country. They consequently know little of other nations or peoples, perpetuating differences. It seems that little of the news from other parts of the world makes it into many homes there, and all they do hear is inevitably of crisis and trouble. I do not want to an inward looking country. Please do not take offence as this is just my opinion and of course being phlegmatic we will have to make the best of what ever comes along.

 

No comments: