Total Pageviews

Friday 9 August 2024

Spit and Polish.

 Once again a bit of rain before we got up, and by the time we were ready to leave it had gone again. That is the way I like it.

Not far after we left was this shallow cutting that had a narrow channel cut through the rock. We didn't meet anybody so I can't confirm that it is wide enough for two boats, but contrary to visual appraisal I have to assume that it is!

As we approached the Marston Junction bridge Helen went to the bow and when she gave me the thumbs up that all was clear round we went. Apparently it is a pretty hard turn to make but we made it in one, despite me nearly bottling out and reversing. I'm not sure it would be possible with a full length boat without springing yourself round., and I didn't see a post to use for this.

I saw this milepost just after the junction and it appears to be a milepost for the Coventry Canal. Somebody has painted 13 on it and you can make out 13 A carved on the right face. It is 13 miles to the top lock at Atherstone so that fits in. I wonder how many of the mileposts still exist as I can't remember seeing many.

Charity Dock is having a clear-out. All the plastic cruisers that were stored on top of each other on the right have gone. There is still a fair old jumble sale though.

And Stig is still lurking behind a bush.

We found a mooring on the long straight after Charity Dock as this is the last time the towpath will be on our port side. I need to wash that side and hopefully get some polish on. It was a low tow path and the day was dull so not too hot. It took me three hours just about but looks better for doing.

We then got underway to Hawksbury Junction. The water points before the turn were free so we topped up.

The old pump house may need a bit of work to stop the ivy and shrubs in the chimney taking charge. I suspect that it wont be high on C&RT's list.

There was the usual melee at the turn and mainly due to folk not communicating their intentions very clearly. There was a 'turn' on at the Grey Hound but you didn't need to be there to hear it! The group had a very large catalogue of 70's and 80's hits and it went on for quite a while. I know as once throught the stop lock we moored about 3 places up and I decided to wash the st'bd side of the boat too. This is what you get when you have had a week or more of sun. I should drink more liquids. Mind you it looked great after having done it. Mind you I couldn't lift me arms above my head afterwards, but as the band had managed to complete their repertoire and packed up all was quiet and we headed for a pint at the pub. With much effort I can confirm that I was able to lift a hand hold a pint weight to my lips, at least a couple of times!

    As we sat in the pub we could see the bridge over the junction of the canal. The Britannia Foundry was founded in Bath Gate, Derby by Weatherhead and Glover in 1818. They won a reputation for quality castings of ornamental urns, temples and window frames for churches etc. Many of the period homes in Derby will have Britannia Foundry balustrades and hand rails too. In 1837 the business was taken over by Marshall Baker and Wright and they soon started to make castings for the blooming railway companies such as bridges etc. especially after 1840 when Derby became a centre of the railway industry. In 1848 the business was acquired by Andrew Handyside where they made track turntables, stoves and baths as well as the products previously fabricated. They exported bridges to the Indian Railways and to Australia, South America and Japan Foundries for brass, malleable cast iron and motor engine cylinders were added over the years, but in 1911 the company went in to administration. Several attempts were made to keep the company viable but by 1932 it collapsed and all that is left to show now is Handyside Street in the area of the foundry!

I wonder if the bridges in India are still there?



No comments: