Total Pageviews

Monday 21 June 2021

No Spark of Intuition causing blushes.

 I missed posting yesterday as we had a waiting type of a day. When were ready to go the engine wouldn't start. The problem that had hit us at Hartshill Wharf had returned. I fiddled about a bit and then called RCR just after 1000. They answered quickly and after taking the details she told me that the engineer for the area had just called in sick, but they would sort something and let me know. 

I thought it was the isolation switch for the starter battery switch as the symptoms were the same as had occurred previously.

They had told me that the engineer wouldn't be there straightaway as he had two calls already to deal with. I called again at 1600 and they said that he would be there very soon. The engineer, Andy, arrived just after 1700. It seems he had been down to Droitwich to stem a leaking stern gland that had the owners finger over the end of the pipe. Having sold that he was on his way to another 'sinking' boat up towards Birmingham. He then went back to Worcester for a job and then eventually to us half way between the two. Having arrived he refused a cup of tea and set to. He checked the volatges across the engine and declared that the isolation switch was working.

He then checked the multiblock connector by the engine, as above. He fiddled with it to check it was tight, tried the engine, and it started. Again and again! How embarrassing. I should have checked that, especially as I had done the same previously. Still he wasn't very long and could go home earlier than expected. The black sausage in the photo above is the connector. Andy but a cable tie between the two halves to stop it coming apart again and gave me several tips before heading off again. Thanks very much for your time, especially on Father's Day. He had a bit of a trip back home to Cannock Chase too. 

We debated whether to head off to make a bit of time up, but decided to go for a walk instead.

We headed towards Springwood Marina and Bridge 28. There we walked away from the canal towards the railway, passing under it and to a bridge over the River Anker.

Caldecote Hall is now a private estate and access is limited. There is foot access to the church on site that takes you past the buildings. This looks like it could have been the stable block, dated 1880. With a courtyard. It has obviously been altered for apartments.

The house itself was also built mainly in 1880, hut the state was in the Domesday Book. It suffered a siege in 1642 when the owner William Purefoy, a Parliamentary MP lived there. Prince Rupert, Charles I nephew lay siege to capture him, but he wasn't there. The siege was resisted for a while by his wife and children, son in law and eight men before the building was set fire to and they escaped! The remains survived to 1880 when it was rebuilt. In 1926 it became a home for inebriates of all classes. How successful it was may be judged by the fact that when it closed 3 truck loads of empty bottles were cleared out of the attic space! There was another fire in 1955 that damaged most of the building. The owner continued to live in a small apartment at the front until his death. In 2005 it was bought by a developer and converted into apartments.

The church of St. Theobald and St Chads has been here since the Domesday Book, but this building stems from 1857 when it was largely rebuilt. It is not used for worship anymore but there does seem to be some interesting graves by the church.

The church was closed and is  Grade II* listed. The OS map shows paths through the park and past the church, but having had a good mooch a bout we couldn't find them.

There are several ponds in the grounds with sheep grazing.

It is a lovely little spot on the River Anker with a weir and what looks like a little pump house for the Hall next to it. We had to retrace our steps out of the park land and onto another footpath to continue.

Unfortunately some other footpaths couldn't be found and out walk became longer. When we eventually got back to where we should have ended up there was this little bridge with swans with the front of the hall in the distance.

Over the fields of barley we got back the railway line and over a bridge that was original. We walked up to the canal and were soon heading back to the boat.

It was a relief to see the boat. Instead of a 3 mile walk it had extended by 5 and a bit, and extra hour. It was good to sit down and watch the TV  'Time' final episode which we found very good indeed.

I had been thinking about why I hadn't solved the starting problem on my own. I am not an engineer so I don't think I think the analytical way. I had come across the problem before and the isolation switch had been the problem, so it must be again. I am never happy with electricity. It should be easy but I always get confused by it! As I say the problem of the disconnected multi block connection had crossed my path before but I didn't put the two together as I had already settled on the 'wrong' thing. Oh well, I can stand a bit of embarrassment, and Andy was very gracious and kind to me. I expect he was just pleased that it didn't take him long to solve. I hope he got home to Cannock Chase quickly. Thanks to RCR for their assistance.






1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Tony,
I am the same with electricity - it is a mystery to me! I am better with engine stuff and David is good about electrics. We got so that we could solve a number of problems on the boat, but the first time of each one was a mystery! When I look back at the early days of the blog, I am amazed that we didn't pack up and go home given the issues we had to deal with (or usually get others to deal with: RCR, Ed Shiers, Aqua Narrowboats at Mercia ...)

Your walk sounds wonderful - the extension to it was obviously worthwhile!

Hugs to you both, Mxx