Total Pageviews

Monday 10 June 2019

Home and away, travelling all day.

After a bit of television last night I was expecting to wake up to heavy rain listening to the weather forecasts. However it was even a little sunny to start with. We got up a bit earlier as I have a train to catch at lunch time. We got away at 0830 and it still wasn't raining.

We had moored near Heyford Marina, bridge 29 last night and although we could just about here trains passing it was not disturbing us. A little further along the cut the railway again gets very close to the canal. Why is it that when ever you want a train to pass to liven up the picture, non passes, until you just get to the bridge hole etc!!?

The canal along this leg passes through some lovely rolling Northants countryside and appears to be miles away from anywhere. If there were no railway it would be prime mooring.

A little further on and it has started to rain lightly. I would love to know what the old canal facing building was at the Banbury Road Bridge, Brg. 43. I wonder why it hasn't been restored and transformed into a half a million pound house?

By the time we approached Gayton Junction it had started to rain harder, but luckily the wind hadn't increased. As we rounded the corner the boat on the services came out thinking we were after water. He told me that there was no water on at the taps and had alerted C&RT. I hope they get it fixed as the water points and services are getting thinner on the ground all over the system.

The yard at the junction seemed to be busy. We passed one cheerful fisherman at the first bridge and then we had to find out how to get to the office of the Gayton Marina. We moored up just before the movable bridge over the entrance. Rather than close the bridge and then open it again I thought I would walk round. There is no access  round the other side, other than out of a gate that is luckily opened by the BW key, and down the road to the main entrance. We were given a berth and headed in. Helen operated the bridge but it didn't open fully but enough for us to squeeze through. 

Time was a little tight as I had a train to catch from Northampton but we got moored up and changed and ready in time for the taxi. My journey home, Northampton, Birmingham New Street, Doncaster and Hull took from 1200 to 1700 with every train on time and only cost £29 which I think was very good. My daughter picked me up and after a cup of tea and a bit to eat I was heading back south with the car. 2hrs 45 mins later I was back on the boat. It seems that the rain and wind has really started now but the drive was okay.

My moan of the day is why do marinas seem ti is fair to charge you according to your length and then provide you with a pontoon that is only half the length of the boat so you are unable to secure it properly? The other moan is having to buy a card for electricity when you have no idea how much electricity you are getting for your money so inevitably there will be some left when you leave. Unfortunately for us the people who have been on this berth previously must be much better at guessing what to put in than me as there is non still left on the meter!

Off back home for ten days tomorrow so will be all quiet for a while. Happy boating to those on the water and look back in ten days or so.

No comments: