Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 January 2018

2017 Equipment Costs.

Here are some more photos of Hull as City of Culture, and right away I should warn you that my naked legs appear!

You were warned about the legs! Here I am in the Humber Street area after volunteering elsewhere to see the latest exhibitions.

Hull company G.F. Smith, paper merchants had sponsored many exhibits. There is something very satisfying about a lovely piece of paper or card and it was amazing to see what artists can do with it. This is just made up of card and glue and adds something to the phrase 'cutting and sticking'

I was amazed that that the paper was rigid enough to take the weight of all the paper.

A paper cod!

This art work is in a listed building that is one of the last smoke houses left in Hull and I suppose is to mirror the hanging herrings being smoked.

Another part of the exhibition was of furniture made out of card. In actual fact they looked quite good, and I suppose you could easily blend it in to your decor by altering the colour of the cards. It must have good glue though.

The Humber Street Gallery has the roof bar of earlier post and also houses the recovered 'Dead Bod' Grafitti that became iconic for Hull before the City of Culture year. The pineapples were made out of mesh and then galvanised by a local company and add something to an otherwise bland old fruit warehouse.

2017 Equipment Costs


2 x rubber mats                  50-38
chain for mud weight          7-75
set of screw drivers           10-00
bent nose pliers                   2-90
fire cement                           7-53
new propeller                   425-00                                              
 TOTAL                          503-56    550-75     164-22    678-39

The two rubber mats were to replace to that cover the deck at the back end and one to add to the foredeck for more overall coverage.

The mud weight was a tub filled with cement with a chain passed through it so as to be able to attach a rope so it could be used as a mud weight anchor. I also pushed a hole through so that it could also be used to retain the base of my TV aerial pole. The chain wasn't strong enough so I will have to get some proper galvanised chain if I repeat the operation. I still have the original for the TV aerial.

The fire cement was for the restoration of the flue seal to the stove.

The main item is obviously the new propeller. I thought this very expensive when I compare it with the likes of Midland Chandler's prices. However I bought new as I wanted a much more robust one as in four years it had already cost me hundreds of pounds in dry dock fees etc as the old one had badly bent twice. This one hasn't even got a ding in the edge. There is much more metal in the blades and I have found do difference in the handling of 'Holderness'. I will keep a good eye on fuel consumption this year as it seems to be higher after fitting the new prop. However we have not been cruising as normal this year with much more river and tidal passages than normal. Hopefully that will be the reason.



No comments: