Total Pageviews

Wednesday 6 October 2021

And relax.... aaaah.

 Well we are finally here! We were last out of the marina when we arrived back in the middle of July. We also had a couple of nights aboard towards the end of August but didn't leave the marina, but went for walks in the region which was very relaxing. We have been very busy with just 'stuff'. I have no idea why I am seemingly so busy with the various things I am involved with and with the delight of grand parenting too, but I have been looking forward to getting away, and out, on 'Holderness' for a couple of weeks now. Being on the boat has its worries too, will everything continue working, will there be a mooring where we hope to stop, will there be a queue at the water point etc, but they seem to be less onerous than those at home.

We loaded up and we were away by around 11 am. Macy the Cat knew something was up, but once she realised she wasn't going to put in her case she knew we were off to the boat she relaxed. It was a good drive down and we were at the boat and not before time as it just started to rain as we opened up the boat and Macy settled in. Everything looked good, and everything started up as it should and the engine hole was dry. We brought the load in bit by bit as the showers relented. Helen had a Zoom call in the afternoon so we deiced to sit on the pontoon until the morning.

When we arrived yesterday there was a funny noise going on. I quickly realised that it was the transmission wires near the marina. They seem to be dropping some longer insulators in and probably adding more cables so everybody can charge their cars in the future. The noise was the wires slapping against each other in the wind. This morning I watched as they pulled another guide wire across with a little cable car 'thingy' (the little yellow bogey behind the men. I assume they then pull the transmission cable through using this down to the ground. I loved the aluminium ladder suspended from the arm. Rather then than me. I never seemed to worry about heights in my youth, but now I would certainly think twice about heading up there.

We filled with water and did all the other jobs you have to do before heading out. The engine fired up first time with 6 secs on the glow plugs. No smoke either. We left the marina and headed off towards Rugeley. This time of year, before the autumnal colours start to dominate the greens look well washed out, but I love the light at this time of year. It was sunny all day, but there was a slight bite to the wind but we are both in shorts.

I love the swoop of the curve to the Armitage Shanks factory. I'd love to have a tour round. I wonder if they do factory tours. There were lots of sinks and toilets in the yard so I wonder if they are getting out of the 'just in time' delivery idea these days or they can't get any containers to export them or any drivers to deliver the containers or to our home depots!

We had to wait for two boats to come through Armitage Tunnel Narrows, I can't remember the last time we had to wait for one! The sandstone of the old tunnel is impressive. As we came out of the road bridge above, but still in the narrows a swan family took me on in a game of chicken as they swam along towards me, but with nowhere to go for me they inevitably had to turn round and head back from whence they had come.

We stopped in Rugeley for about 30 mins and Helen went off to get some food items, milk, but mainly the ingredients for the ciabatta bread sticks that featured on 'Bake Off' last night. They will be good with our soup I'm thinking. It is quite strange to see no cooling towers at the site of the old power station. It is something when the vast coal mine and power station could now hardly be imagined here now. Once over the Trent aqueduct at Brindley Bank there are good views of Cannock Chase. 

we are running alongside the Trent for the rest of the day and it is a little higher and faster running than the last time we came this way.

Bishton Hall looks nice in the sun and with the virginia creeper or ivy turning red. It didn't look very open from a distance but since it was bought by Charles Hanson, the auctioneer participant in the Antiques Road Trip etc, it has a cafe and a courtyard craft shop area. In the end it is said to be going to be opened up to the public. You can attend auctions there now I think. At least it wasn't pulled down like so many between the wars.

There always seems to be a queue at Colwich Lock. It is just as well it is so pretty and photogenic. It is a shame the railway line is so close, but I'm sure you get used to anything.

As we passed Little Haywood bridge there is a hint of what is to come when the leaves turn.

We moored up before the carriage bridge to Shugborough with a view over to the house. Whist I got into filling the greaser in the engine hole and generally checking stuff over Helen got to planting some cyclamen that she had brought with her. Our tub was looking a bit bare but some acorns that we had poked in had taken weel and we will have to dig them out as the roots have gone right down to the bottom. We will take them home and find somewhere for them. We will head off for a little walk later when the sun is setting I think. All in all a lovely first day out and one that allowed us to relax into our trip.


2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Lovely to see you back on board.

I am not sure I knew about you grandparenting, or did I just miss the apposite post? Tell me more, please?

Mxx

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both, It is nice to be back aboard. We have already forgotten how long we have been back, so 'Holderness' healing is working. Our grand daughter was three in September and we have another on the way in January. Hope you are both well and loooking forward to gadding about in the summer down there.