Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 May 2021

Diary Day and Natural Wonders.

Today is Diary Day and the Mass Observation are looking for the days diary entries. Mass observation started in 1937 and they are collected and all available to inspect. If you look at the link below it will tell you all about it.

I wonder if they will take the days blog as they will take all media, poems etc.

-------------//------------

Helen popped to M&S to see if here were any bargains to be had and then we were off.


We were soon at Aston Lock and the sun was glinting on the ripples on the water. When we had lowered down I saw a boat leave the exit of Aston Marina in the distance. It turned towards the lock so we left the gates open. Just as we were clearing the lock landing he swung back into the entrance of the marina. I wish he had indicated he was going to do that. Full astern and back to the landing to run back and close the gates.

I really enjoy this stretch of canal between Aston and Sandon Locks. There is plenty of mooring, no offside moorers, but bends and bridges and views and enough to keep you alert.

It is nice and quiet too at the moment Just peaceful and quiet.

There were eleven goslings in this brood. I don't think I have seen so many, and they are not newly hatched either. They obviously do a good job in cutting the grass for C&RT. Has anybody seen a Fountain's crew out this year? I haven't as yet.

These guys were also well impressed with the gosling numbers too.

I wonder if HS2 went through the land of some Earl or Marquis would they agree to make it more attractive. Maybe they would shield it from view or plant trees etc. Mind you by the looks of it they are trying to do the same where ever there are houses about. Cutting the canal  must have made a massive scar on the land, as did the railway lines. However we all love the canals now and disused railway lines have been purloined as roads, cycle routes or walking routes or reclaimed as well as making green corridors for the wildlife. HS" will make a real mess of the landscape where it goes, but eventually it will become accepted and in a generation it will be just normal!

On this stretch of canal there are these signs, mainly on the offside, that seem to enumerate cloughs, sluices and weirs. Obviously they are to identifier them, but I would love to know why are they numbered north to south when the bridge and locks are numbered south to North? Or is that the reason so that the numbers of these does not coincide with the bridges??

At Hoomill Lock the newly burst leaves on the trees were golden green, and very bright in the gloom before a shower. The colours of the trees are so vibrant when they just come out.

Great Haywood was extremely quiet, as we approached the bridge from the north I saw two boats turn down the Staffs. and Worcs, but otherwise nothing. There were notices on the tow path saying the moorings were temporarily closed. I couldn't read why but I expect there will be a floating market of something coming along soon.

The sun really came out at Great Haywood after a shower and once moor the green in the sun were a joy to behold.

We were going to moor near Taft Farm but there was no room, then there was no room before the Trent Aqueduct and so we went across and found some where to moor before the middle of Rugeley. We were secure and kettle on when the thunder and lightning struck. I then heard what I thought was a train on the line nearby. However it became obvious that it was hailstones. As the time went on it got louder as the size of the stones got larger. I was wondering if there would be any paint left on the roof!

These were the size of them at the end. They have been up and down in the thunder cloud to get that size. I remember when I was very young that we had hail stones that were like golf balls!!

Once I had a cup of tea and a biscuit in me I got on blacking the stove and now I think I am going to light it too!












No comments: