Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 June 2023

Flower Power.

 Well here we are again. There was more traffic on the motorways than I have seen for a long time, but despite a few queues we were not overly delayed. Since our last time onboard with have been occupied with living life and even managed to get away for a weekend in the Lake District for babysitting duties whilst daughter and daughter in law were doing the Great North Swim in Windermere. It was great.

The forecast for our arrival at the marina was for thunder, lightening and rain but as it happened it was nice and sunny so emptying the car was done without hitch. Macy the Cat settled in straight away. Everything stowed, everything turned on, electric disconnected, engine started and we were ready for the off.

As we cleared the marina and turned to port we were soon up to our first old friend. This boat seems to have been here for the whole time that we have moored at Kings Bromley. I'd love to know their story. Admittedly they may have been on a voyage whilst we have been at home but they very luckily get the same spot every time if they have. They haven't taken over the tow path or made a mess , or anything like that, it is just I am interested as to how it has happened.

The banks are full of meadowsweet round here. With a name like that you thought there would be a lovely smell wafting about but I don't think I have picked it up. I did catch a lovely aroma that I took to be from a lime tree as I pass under one everyday at home and I love this time of year. Meadowsweet was made into a tea in the 'old days' and used as a painkiller. It was also Queen Elizabeth I's favourite as it has a long lasting perfume and was used in place of rushes on the floor. Does that mean the stems are sweet smelling too?

I had to look very hard to find any yellow or flag iris flowers as they have all gone over. They have also turned at home in our pond so I wasn't really expecting to see them.

However there was a fair bit of yellow on the banks. I think it is yellow or dotted loosestrife and really stands out. Of course there are loads of cow parsley, or old mans oatmeal, but it could be a chevil, hog weed, pig nut or another type of parsely.

A purple/blue colour was provided by the meadow cranes bill. This is a geranium and is often found in gardens these days. It is great for bees.

I decided I would take the standard picture I almost always take as we pass the Armitage Shanks factory. It seems some areas of the off side have been cut back but clearly not here.

As we were approaching the Plum Pudding pub we could see that the pans and tugs that were shuttling the towpath grit to the work between near the Armitage 'tunnel' and Fradley were tied up just finishing ti, however as we approached the pub I could see there was a push tug and pan in the middle of the canal just sitting. I waited but I was waved through to pass him on his st'bd side. They were just finishing tying one up before taking them along side. It didn't stop him reversing gently into me though.

We continued on and the very light drizzle started. That stuff that doesn't get you wet. Mind you by the time we had passed the usual moorings at Rugeley it was starting to thicken up so we pulled over and moored up on a vacant spot on the new armco and were soon settled back in. It still didn't get wet though.




























No comments: