Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 June 2022

Falklands 40.

 We were up a little earlier than the norm today as we were on a mission. However the day didn't get off to as good a start as I had hoped. Tea in bed for Helen was fine, Macy Cat fed, other tasks done etc etc. It was after showering and getting ready I put the engine on so that Helen could dry her hair and the charge alarm came on for the domestic batteries. They weren't getting any charge through. Oh dear!! It was a good sunny day so I thought that they would be all topped up by the solar. However once away from the boat I realised that I hadn't tilted the panels for best effect, Double Doh!!

As we walked past Wharf Cottage I noticed another crest on the wall, but I have no idea what this may represent.

People may know that today is the day Grenfell Tower burned down five years ago and that it was the 40th Anniversary of the surrender of the Argentine forces on the Falkland Islands. I really had never associated this date with another major event of my life. That was the birth of my son and heir!! I have no idea why I didn't connect the Falklands surrender with the date of my son's birth, but possibly as I have never really been involved with remembrance of the Operation Corporate campaign before this year. I had been contacted by the Merchant Navy Association asking if I would like to attend the event at the National Arboretum this year. As it was close to where we have the boat I thought it would be good to arrive by boat and combine been away on the cut with a 40 year remembrance, so I got two invites.

I have blogged previously about my part in the campaign. I had often thought that we were late to the party but I joined my ship on April 23rd and sailed off to war five days later. I didn't get back to 'Blighty' until the end of August, a long time after all the brew ha ha had died down. 30,000 people were attending the 'do' and the weather was perfect, if a little too warm and sunny. As it was all outdoor I'm not sure what we would have done if it rained?

We got there early as it is just a walk up from the village. I was able to take a photo of the memorial to the Falkland Campaign with nobody in the way.

From the seas, freedom is the motto of the South Atlantic Medal Association. I always think the Falkland Island map looks like a Chinese Dragon with flames behind it.

I have a little bug bear about many of the speeches, epitaphs etc as, like the above on the main memorial, they infer thet all those that gave their lives in the conflict were in the Armed Forces. Many were in the Merchant Navy, or the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, that are not part of the Armed Forces
, and this sort of writes the Merchant Navy out of the history books. There were also three Falkland Islanders killed too!

The Merchant Navy Organistation had organised a service in a clearing of the convoy of trees that represented every Mercant Navy vessel that was lost during WWII. The centre piece was an anchor of Sir Percival, an RFA landing/logistics ship that had served in the Falklands. It was quite moving and at the end I met an old Captain of mine from the Irishman, and I served with him later, after the Falklands. We caught up and found that we had both been Pilots for a while. He in Barrow in Furness and me on the Humber.

I had asked a couple of the volunteers where I would be able to find the plaque of somebody from Hedon and whilst the service was on they very kindly traced it and guided me there afterwards so I could record it for his mother. She will be 'made up like a bag of chips'. I was very pleased to find Stickman there too. I have read this story to my Grand daughter so many times, and watched the film too, that it is a great favourite of mine, and her.


At the main memorial it was very moving as there were several people their in tears as they found their relatives etc. It was also quite sobering to see the number of panels that were blank, waiting for the future sacrifice of the men and women of our forces, and there will be many more I fear. The Merchant Navy dead are recorded at the Tower Hill memorial in London

The main service took place down below from this needle. It was a very moving and interesting ceremony. Max Hastings, the Historian and Journalist, who was there at the time, narrated the event. Personal stories were spoken along with music from the Welsh Guards, Scots Guards pipers and wonderful small choir. I was moved to tears several times. It maybe wasn't the life changing event it was for many people there, but it was forty years ago, and if nothing else it was a remembrance of my youth, and different times. I was very moved by a film from the Falkland Islanders children. They spoke of not forgetting the sacrifice that was made to ensure they remained free and British, and was the springboard for their great success today and all there swear never to forget.

There were no Royals at the ceremony but Boris Johnson was present. There was no booing but whether by design or accident we will never know, but the timing of the helicopter flypast seemed to encroach over his speech, which was not controversial at all. The speech that is.

It was a full day and we were given a free lunch, which is always nice, and it was more emotional for me than I had expected. We stopped for a pint on the way back to the boat and had decided to have our meal in the pub too, later. Once back at the boat I lifted the boards to the engine hole and started checked all the connections I could find. Nothing looked loose, but with fingers crossed I started her up... and everything was fine. There were no alarms and not lights and the batteries were charging. Hurray. Just then there was a funny noise and the alarm sounded and then quickly stopped when the noise did. I am suspect that the bearings in the alternator are on the way out. I will have to check out to see if I can see what is what on line. It has been in place for town years and the engine has done 3,700 hours so maybe that is not too bad!!!? The noise didn't return and charged up again I stopped it. Everything seemed fine so maybe it will get us back to the marina in a day or two.


No comments: