Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 July 2021

Answers on a Postcard Please!

 Well the Aston Cross mooring is now on our list as we had TV, phone, internet and a really quiet night to boot.

By the moorings is this milepost with the miles and locks to near and distant places.


We were straight into the last three locks of the Aston flight and whilst walking down to set the lock, can't remember which but maybe between 9 and 10, I saw this post. The concrete is stamped with BCN and with the large D at the top. This was roughly mid way between the locks. The BCN buffs will be able to put me right, but is it something to do with who claims the lock when approaching? If I remember you couldn't see one of the locks from the post. Help please???!

Between Locks 10 and 11 is this art work in the bricks. I think the boats name is given in the forward plaque as Lady Anna and at the stern are the names of the 'brickies' that constructed in Paso, Paso and Wilkinson I think it is, in 1995. Nice bit of advertising too.

You could almost think that an episode of Peaky Blinders could have been filmed here. I love the fact that the old bridge gas lights have been put back.

It was a muggy day and I was expecting it to rain at any time, but we spent all day dry, hurrah. The last three locks are more spaced out than the top 8 so we got a nice walk between, with the claret and blue gasometers (Aston Villa colours for the non football fans).

Surprisingly there was only one boat on Cuckoo Wharf as we passed. We could have stopped for water but carried on to Salford Junction. One boat passed us heading up to the Aston Locks otherwise all was quiet. Any idea anybody why the mileages have all changed on the  Junction sign post? With global warming has the world shrunk? It can't be that it used to be in kilometres can it?

There had obviously been a lot of cinstruction traffic through this gateway. Nature is a wonderful as the disturbance has brought the lovely red poppies to flower and add a splash of colour along this much untidier stretch of towpath and water than the rest of Birmingham so far.

We passed a boat heading to Salford Junction with it's tunnel light on, and this reminded me that there is a tunnel at Curdworth, but doesn't really warrant the use of the tunnel lamp at 57 yards long!

Dunton Wharf is very photogenic, especially when heading down the locks. I removed the tape marking them as having recently being painted, as they were all dry now.

I have another question to ask. On these three locks of the Curdworth flight, 4,5 and 6 I think it was, there were large solar panels temporarily mounted to drive a black box of tricks that seemed to have a probe into the ground. They are behind the metal fencing. Any ideas anybody?

The distances between the locks stretch after lock 5 ans here we have decided we will cadge a lift after Lock 7 with just one more lock to negotiate. We moored up by the Dog and Doublet to meet and old friend hopefully. 


4 comments:

Mike Todd said...

Yes, the sign originally had km - on my database photo you can just see the k after the 3 for Digbeth. Also Tipton was originally 13.

NB Holderness said...

Hi Mike, Thanks for reading and the info regarding the sign post previously in kilometres. Do you happen to know how quickly after Brexit did it take place, or how long previously it was changed? I wonder why it was ever erected with the SI units on it? Maybe paid for with a European Grant or something. I can't remember seeing any other signs in the metric.

Enjoy your cruising. Tony and Helen.

Mike Todd said...

My pic is 2016 so not a Brexit thing. In any case my dodgy memory puts it back a good whole. Given what is above, Spaghetti Junction, I'd start with a guess that the original dates from the motorway construction when engineers had already forgotten imperial measures but boaters complained that nothing about boat speeds and canal distances was anything but miles. NB I have a copy of L A Edward's book (two different editions actually!) of distance tables which is in miles and furlongs.

NB Holderness said...

Thanks Mike, It was a 'Brave New World' when Spaghetti Junction was being built so I'm sure you are correct. I lived not too far away at the time and it was certainly pretty futuristic as it went up. It is still a marvel to me. The day after I passed my driving test I was stopped by the Police on the 'Junction' in my split screen Morris Minor as it still had L plates on. My Mum was learning to drive at the same time!