Total Pageviews

Wednesday 21 April 2021

Just Dropped Off.

 The day finally came round when I tried to get everything in the car and cut the ties from home. Even Macy cat had not gone into hiding at the thought of a car journey. We were off to the boat for a trip, at last. The trip took us just two hours and we were parked up and with an arm full of cat we headed to the boat. Helen opened the boat doors and pushed the hatch back and there was a clatter of timber dropping. I couldn't work out what it was at first, but once inside I could see it was the timber on the underside of the hatch that the bolts are pushed up into and makes a better weather seal.

I hadn't realised that it had just been glued on to the metal and the adhesive had just given up. It didn't seem to be very secure glued on.

As it happened it was the best time for a bit of the boat to drop off as we had the car and we weren't far from Lichfield. I came up with a quick plan for repair and then looked on line for a B&Q or similar. Screwfix seemed to be the best spot and so of I went to find it and purchase the bits and pieces I required.  I was soon back and casting my normal caution aside I drilled holes in the steel hatch cover. No going back now.

The rear lip of the hatch was then scraped down to remove traces of the old adhesive, and treated for rust.

I had purchased some coach bolts to secure the timber to the hatch, but I had also bought an Evostick product 'Sticks like Sh*t', a phrase that I have never really understand as in the normal run of things that is the last thing I would use to glue anything! I used that as well as the bolts as a belts and braces idea. However the sealant gun I had aboard refused to work properly so I was forced to use it very economically. Hopefully it will do the trick and ensure the doors remain secure and nothing drops off again.

By now it wasn't really practical to set off today so I went to get a new bottle of gas, take some stuff back to the car and get everything stowed away properly. After tea we went for a walk round the marina as we hadn't done so before and as we were very near the entrance we didn't know how far back it went.

This is the entrance from the Trent and Mersey and we are moored the other side of the pontoon in the distance to the right.

This is the first main bay with the wooden office building mid right. 'Holderness' is just to the right of the island, called Barbecue Island for an obvious reason. Just to the bottom left corner is the channel under the bridge to the next bay.

Looking in the opposite direction the other end of the channel leads into the next mooring area.

Just by the bridge is this old tug/workboat that is acting as a plant pot holder! A bit of an ignominious end for a rough tough tug. Don't much like the paint job either.

Well tomorrow we will fill up with water and drop the rubbish etc off and then head off. Nothing too early I assure you.


No comments: