Total Pageviews

Friday 2 March 2018

Observations, 2. Locks

We are hopefully heading for the Lancaster Canal this year, and whilst I am looking forward to seeing new places, I have an inner fear that I will be a bit bored as there are no locks, once you are there!

We didn't see many other boats to share locks with on the Leeds Liverpool. We hardly ever tie up in wide locks as if the technique of opening the same side paddle to keep you on the wall doesn't work, you can't go that far and we aren't too precious about the hull paintwork.

I think it is the locks that make the life on the canal system so interesting. Going up and down rivers is great but there is a limit to just chugging along and watching the scenery. The locks mean that you can go up and down hills and access new places. They break the journey up, and yes they present a physical challenge.

This may look like a gate paddle but it in fact the locking device of a swing bridge.

The locks are also a great place for those short conversations where you learn about the road ahead, nibblets of gossip about the system, and sometimes a potted life history and then you find yourself revealing much more than you would normally to a perfect stranger! I am not by nature a gregarious bloke but I always like to make a bit of an effort to talk on these occasions, even on my 'off days'. So hopefully others would feel the same. Clearly some don't. I do find that locks filling make it very difficult to hear so it is always nice to meet across the gates or where ever.

I love the individuality of the lock equipment. This cast iron quadrant is required here at the Blackburn Locks as the road bridge is too close to get a beam in. Each of the original canal companies had equipment for their canal. I love the fact that British Waterways and C&RT have not homogenised it all.

When we first bought 'Holderness' Helen would not steer the boat at locks. She was not confident enough and was worried that she would makes mistakes etc, in front of a knowledgeable crowd, who would then make comments. However since then she does much of of the steering when we have flights of locks as I have long legs and seem to get about a bit faster. Other times, especially on narrow locks I will drive going up as I can usually close the bottom gate from the back of the boat.

With no other boat to share Helen just lets the boat do its thing in the lock as we go down.

When I was stuck on the back end I real missed being involved in the chatter and physical work. My approach to lock work is that, while not rushing, I do like to be as efficient as possible, doing things in a timely manner with regard to people waiting. I do get frustrated with folk who do not have the same feelings. Hire boaters are invariably pleased if you give them a hand, or even point out a better (sometimes correct) way of doing things. The opposite is largely true for those of us who own our boats. Everybody has there 'way' of doing it and resent being told there is a different way. I have seemingly caused upset in the past so now just grit my teeth, unless it is dangerous.

Whilst we all know that we are supposed to open both gates on a wide lock to prevent wear on the gate edge as we pass through, with a two man crew you would have to be a saint to do so I think.

There are somethings that really do 'T' me off. We were going down the Marple flight, I was one lock ahead of Helen on the boat when I saw a large guy swinging his windlass waddling up towards me. There was no boat in view. When he came up to me a greeted him to be told that he was helping out a single hander on the way up. The boat turned out to be about six locks down and there were two of them on the stern. I had to hold Helen back!

Wind, atmospheric, not biological, is the thing that makes life difficult when heading through locks. Could this be one advantage of leaving all the gates open?

When there is a bit of a queue at locks things would go a little quicker if those waiting helped out on the lock, but we have all seen those that sit there waiting for the lock to be ready for them! A bit like on the Thames when some on cruisers seem unable to get off their boats when there is no keeper on duty, and seem to expect the narrow boater (or wide beamer) to take their place.

 It is always nice to share a wide lock, and not just to save water, but to have a natter and share the work, each workin g one side of the lock, and being able to work ahead more easily if in a flight. However there is the dilemma of what to do if you are in the lock first. Unless going up and there are massive leaks on the top gates I tend to come in and rest my bow on the cill or the gate. I can then go ahead and keep the stern clear for the second boat. As the other boat's bow passes my stern I come astern and the water pressure of the bow wave of the second boat just straightens us all up.

Plenty of room in this lock at Goole. Ocean Lock that pens you down onto the River Ouse. I think most would say they prefer to work narrow locks as they seem to involve less walking and as less water is involved quicker to fill/empty so speedier all round.

We have also all heard that line 'Oh sorry, I didn't see you', as we find the gates swung shut in your face or the lock turned. This may well be true, but you wont see anything unless you look! Then there is the old chestnut of those gates being left open. We also know that there are many that blow open with the merest breeze, but many just can't be arsed. It seems that down around London this is a habit. I have had several explanations given to me, something about a water course so not worth it, etc, but I think it is just a matter of swings and roundabouts. You may have to go and shut the bottom gates, but then again you may be able to sail straight in. However the C&RT regulations say that the gates should be left closed, along with all the paddles. Therefore I think the root cause is laziness or ignorance again. Mind you if you watch old film of working boaters they were not gentle with the locks at all. Paddles were dropped on the run, gates left open, gates used as stopping devices etc etc. We all make the odd mistake with paddles etc as we get distracted with one of those conversations talked of earlier, but some people seem to make an art of it.

It is always nice to get on to the large locks on the Aire and Calder and South Yorkshire Navigation when all that is required is a thumb or fore finger, rather than a fore arm and windlass.

One thing that really gets Helen going is when the safety catch on the paddle cogs are left up! Just saying. We are all different I suppose, but tolerance is the key, or stay up north where there are few to share the canals with! Maybe an idea. I'm sure we all have out particular moan about everybody else doing it differently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading. Agreed with everything said. We've had 'strong words' in the past with people who insist that theirs is the only (and always correct, of course) way of working a lock.
Might see you on the Lancaster later this year but we haven't decided exactly where we're going yet.
SAM
NB 'Red Wharf'

NB Holderness said...

Hi Sam, just seen your comment. When we booked to do thew Ribble link there weren't many spots left for the earlier part of the season so I hope you are sorted. We are off to Liverpool and Lancaster but after that we will see where we get to. I'll watch out for you around the system. Happy sailings. Tony