Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 November 2017

A very dangerous occurrence.

We have popped up to the boat this weekend. We arrived about lunch time on Saturday. Everything seemed fine and as we let it. There were a few leaves on the back deck but otherwise everything looked okay. I turned everything on and set the heating going and lit the fire to get the chill out of the boat, and after a bite to eat I set to to wash the side of the boat by the pontoon. The pontoons at fettler's Wharf are fully 60' so it was easy enough. By the time I had finished it was almost fully dark and I just had time to put the TV aerial up ready for the normal Saturday fare.

This morning, Sunday, being Remembrance Sunday, meant that The Archers was on earlier than normal so we had breakfast and listened to that before venturing out side to start the polishing of the pontoon side and the bow and stern. The boat was painted over last winter and I was advised not to polish the boat until the paint had had a good chance to harden, but just wash it normally. However it was best to get some polish on the paint before the winter set in for protection.

After The Archers Helen went off to get the Sunday Papers and other bits and pieces and I set too with the polish on the port side. I had sent for some Carnauba Wax polish from Craftmaster and due to one thing and another it didn't arrive as stated. Eventually it did, and they had sent a bottle of carnauba wash as an apology. I  had used it to wash the boat the previous day. When Helen got back she helped with the rubbing off. It didn't take too long at all and by the time we had finished there was enough time for me to wash the st'bd side of the boat from the gunwale. The Craftmaster wash makes loads of bubbles that are hard to get rid off unless you have a hose so I put less than stated on the bottle. I must say that is did seem as though a coating was left after a rinse and a dry with a leather. Once I had completed that it was lunch time and time for the paintwork to dry off.

After eating lunch I let Helen off further polishing as there is not really room for two of us. Helen took advantage to have a little sit and a read of the newspapers and some crocheting.

Macy the Cat seems to like being on the boat as she was meowing and settling in. She does need to get used to a reversed lifestyle as she is out all night at home, and we keep her in during the night on the boat. We are sure that she is pleased when we get here, but she isn't too keen on the travelling backwards and forwards.

Skye, the budgie doesn't seem to mind where she is as she doesn't seem to to do much where ever she is, but it is nice to hear her tweeting away and making telephone noises etc.

I must say that I am impressed with the Craftmaster wax polish. It is easy to apply and while not leaving great heavy deposits on the paint you can see where you have been when it drys a little. It comes off nicely without excessive rubbing and the shine appears to be deep and lustrous. As can be seen on the our port side.

I removed everything from the roof and gave it all a good wash. I'm not sure whether it is prudent to polish the roof but I did, mainly to give it some protection over the winter and make it easier to clean later. The shine looks wonderful.

On our back deck the black paint has polished up really well as can be seen by the reflection of the leaves on the deck in the paint.

Whilst I was polishing the boat a dangerous occurrence happened that could have disastrous consequence in the future. I am in mortal danger of becoming a certified boat polisher!! Yes I admit it I enjoyed myself and to see the results of the work was very satisfying. I will have to do my very best not to be sucked in by this habit that could destroy our lives on the boat together if I am wanting to wash and polish at every turn and I get worried about passing through locks and past bushes etc. The sight of beading water on a freshly polished boat could well be intoxicating enough to trap me in the lifestyle. Helen will have to use many and varied distraction techniques to stop me getting addicted to the smell of polish on a microcloth and the grin in the shine of paint work. I'm sure I will be able to wean myself off it for the next few months, but what about the next time I have to polish the boat? Will it tip me over the edge and I will be joining the shiny boat brigade?!!

No comments: