Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 July 2016

Gone from Guildford.

This morning I got up at 0700 thinking that I would go and get the paper and then make the tea. In the end I made the tea and then went for the paper. Only one shop seemed to open before 1000 and it was at the top of the High Street. I found a bit of a short cut up Quarry Road, probably the oldest street in the town we heard yesterday on our walk. I have made no mention of the town's connection with Lewis Carroll or Charles Dodgson as was his real name. And by the way, although Guildford has a Cathedral it is still a town. The Cathedral is a bit out of town and is more linked with the Surrey University than the Town. Guildford only became a diocese in 1926 and the foundation stone was laid in 1936. It's building was supposed to take along time in order to raise the funds and the building wasn't consecrated until 1961. It is on a hill so can be seen from a distance.

Image result for guildford cathedral
www.cornishchurces.com
The exterior maybe not the idea of a cathedral for every one.

www.weekendnotes.co.uk
but the interior looks to be monumental and inspiring and next time we head this way we will definitely make a visit.

The rowers from the club near our mooring had been out and about for a few hours by the time we set off. There were still a few gongoozlers at Millmead Lock. Helen was asked several questions and I had to do my Royal wave to many children, some of whome deemed to wave back!

Just out of the lock must be the best Debenham's restaurant in the country. People were queuing up to get in the store at 1045.

Looking back there is Millmead Lock on the left and the River Wey on the right. The grassed areas were very well used in the fine weather with many families having picnics at the benches provided.

As we proceeded down the Navigation we came past several groups of canoeists who were enjoying the water like us. Some groups were better organised and more proficient than others.

We were going to stop at Dapdune Wharf but the place was littered with steam boats and we couldn't get anywhere near the quay so we carried on.

It seems that all the boats are brought in to Dapdune Wharf on trailers for the joint weekend between National Trust and the Steam Boat Association.

I believe you can buy kits to build your own steam engine and then install it in a boat. They seemed to only get a few in a lock. I reckon on the Thames the keepers would get all of them in on one lock full. I think there was about 20 of them.

After this lot another group arrived and I allowed them to go ahead of us so that they would all get to the New Inn at Send where they were all meeting up for a dinner.

The smell of steam and coal etc etc  makes for a very nostalgic memory and is worth the delay.

Send church is not in the middle of the village and makes for a nice view. We had to keep going through Triggs Lock before we found somewhere to moor up.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi both,
We visited Guildford cathedral a couple of years ago on rock n roll but I couldn’t decide whether I liked it or not! The outside I thought looked like a huge crematorium and the inside? Well, it’s a new building like you say but I was surprised, rather taken aback to see it so white! Yes it’s spectacular in its soaring columns and high ceiling, but to me it didn’t seem quite ‘right’. One of the vergers saw my surprise as I went in and came to speak to me, apparently I wasn’t the only visitor to have that reaction!
Happy cruising.
Carol and George