Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 April 2016

Away Day 3.

If the previous day had dawned with a smile on it's face today started with a big grin. The sun was out in a blue sky and it was much warmer than the previous day. With no wind it felt warmer too. We had a fair trip today so we set off before 1000 and were soon down Haywood Lock

The sun was passing rays of light so the very last of the morning mist that gave a magical appearance, and as this area has connections with J.R. R. Tolkien you could see why he may have been inspired at this time of the year.

The River Trent swoops and loops next to the canal past Colwich and once through the lock to Wolseley. The level of the river had dropped since yesterday. We saw at Fradley that the river section at Alrewas was closed saw hopefully this is a good sign for those held up there.

Once clear of the lock I set to lifting the large rug we had down in the saloon. We had bought an off cut to replace it. I think it was a good deal as we bought a piece that was way too big for our needs but would make two. So for £80 we have two carpets for the boat. The bloke swore that you could clean stains from it with a bit of neat bleach! I'll have to have a go on a sample bit first me thinks. I was just going to lift the rug so that we could take it home for cleaning whilst we had the car, but I had a rush of blood to the head so set too cutting and laying. What possessed me on the best day of the year to saty in the boat with the stove still warm and everything still in the boat I don't know.

I moved as much as I could of the area and then went for the longest side and started laying the carpet along there. I then had to move all the stuff over to the other side to have a go at that, more fiddly bit. The carpet cut nice and easily and as it had a lined pattern it was fairly easy to cut straight lines. Mind you I was still surprised that there were no straight lines on the interior fit out, (or the carpet wasn't square!). Mind you I did a fair job of it if I do say so myself. The effect is to make the place look larger and brighter. The large pattern on the rug must have brought the interior in as did the dark colour. (See Away Day 1 to see the old rug).

By the time I had done my inside work we had passed through Rugeley without stopping and had a lunch on the move. It was glorious as we traveled through Ravenshaw Wood. There have been boats moving but it certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it may have been in the Easter Holidays.

Amy enjoying being on the helm on a lovely day that helped to take her mind of her sore throat and bunged upness!

We got back to the marina at around five and as there was no wind slotted into our berth with no drama. We were soon packing up and sorting out. We had a cup of tea and a Hot Cross Bun to tide us over until we got home. I was talked through the shut down checklist by Helen and we were on our way by 1830. Plenty of time to get us home in good time for 'Line of Duty'. All in all a very pleasant couple of days. The weather was great and we have proved that everything is working and even got a few jobs done too. I can't wait to get away full time now. Less than three weeks now.

No comments: