Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 July 2015

Bad battery.

The hire car had to be back be for 1000 so whilst attended to that I was brave and Helen ventured into Dunelm. I was completed very quickly and walked back down the towpath to meet Helen and was just in time to help with the purchases. Back at the boat I set to investigating the battery problem that we had found. The batteries were dropping very quickly over night. I found that there was acid on the deck of the compartment and there was one cell that was empty in one battery. I wondered whether it had 'boiled' dry, but as soon as I topped up the cell it drained out again. Problem. I removed the battery so that it didn't damage the others and then pondered what to do. I called Midland Chandlers and explained what had happened and as I wasn't able to get the battery back to them any time soon they said I could replace it and they would refund the cost when ever we could get back to one of their branches. I then had to see if I could source one locally. I didn't get a reply from Newbury Marina and I thought it would be too much hassle looking 'shore' so when I called Froud's Bridge Marina and they had one I had to make plans to get there. They are not open on Monday's so we decided to make for them on Sunday.

We paid for our electricity and filled up with water and dumped the rubbish and had a bite to eat before setting off. Ham Lock is just near the entrance to the Newbury Boat Co. marina so we were straight into canal routine again.

Looking back at Ham Lock with the over grown banks on each side. We could here the commentator from Newbury Race Course.

The next lock is Bull's Lock and the River Kennet enters the cut once again, as above. The current wasn't bad at all today.

We passed through Widmead Lock and about half way between there and the lift bridge I spied the bank quite close to the water so despite the reeds swung the stern in and found dry land, luckily, when I leapt ashore. We were soon moored up and short plank out.

After a cup of tea I started some jobs to clean the boat up a little after it's week's rest, brushing off the roof and sides and mopping all over too. I then went down the engine hole to check that out and other than the battery acid taking the paint off the deck all was well.

The high reeds on the left and the hedge on the right make this section of towpath like a tunnel. We do get a little more privacy than on a bare bank mind.

 At first glance it looks like Macy is about to leap of a diving board above the ground but it is fine really.

One of the purchases as Dunelm was a mirror. It was soon up and doesn't look too bad. I have to be on my knees, or sitting to see myself in it but Helen is fine and it will throw the light back into the boat.

Despite battery problems we are glad to be back on the boat for a bit of a rest!

No comments: