Total Pageviews

Monday 23 February 2015

ions, eating irons and bronze.

I am now at the stage where I am trying to think of all the things I need to do before we set off for our seven month trip on 'Holderness'. Things will be interrupted this week as major works are going on at my Mum's so I will have to be in attendance. One thing I remembered as we were doing the weekly shop was to buy de-ionised water for the batteries. I got it from ASDA for £1-10 for 2.5ltrs which I didn't think was too bad. I assume that if  you had an air conditioning unit you could use the condensate from that as a free source, but I'm not sure. It seems the difference between distilled water and de-ionised water is that distilled water is water that is boiled and the vapour distilled so that all the contaminants are left behind and de-ionised water is passed through ion exchange equipment. I think that we see lots more de-ionised water these days as the energy required to boil and condense the water would make it expensive for day to day use, where as de-ionised water is made by forcing the 'dirty water' through a reverse osmosis membrane and the is de-ionised. It is certainly good enough for putting in batteries.


I have a few more LED bulbs to buy and then the whole boat will have the halogen lights replaced with LED's. I have three table lamps that need LED's but I am still looking for the cheapest place for them. And I hope that they wont interfere with the digital radio signal.

Helen got a good bargain from what has been a long standing , what they would now call a discount store, Boyes. It is a bit like Woolworth's used to be but cheaper and more DIY and craft stuff. She spotted a 26  piece cutlery set from Viners of Sheffield for £19-99. RRP was £65. However they seem to be on sale all over the place at that price, but some have the RRP of £85. As we have been using some old picnic implements with plastic handles they will be a welcome addition.


I have coal and logs from home to take along with all my tools that I brought home. I have been buying oil for the Beta 43 when I see it at Wilko's as I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere. I get 5ltr for £15. It went up at the back end of last year from £12-50! I'm sure some would say that it would be better to use supposed better quality oil but as it is changed after 250 hours I'm not sure that it is in the engine long enough to get the benefit from a higher quality as it will be over time that a poor quality one breaks down and becomes less efficient. I have already bought all my filters for the coming year's changes from In-Line Filters who charge a low price, are very prompt and accurate for delivery and when ever I have needed to talk to them  have been very helpful.

I do need to contact Crowthers in Oldham to have a chat about our propeller. We seem to have attracted more than our fair share of bent propeller blades that has cost us dearly. I would be interested to know if it is just bad luck or there is something we can do about it like changing it for one with a bit more metal in it, or of a different composition as it is becoming a yearly event. In fact having had a very bent blade on the Aylesbury arm last year on the way back north later on we have slightly bent a couple of blade tips again on the Macclesfield. We didn't notice anything major going through the prop but when I was checking down the weed hatch there were two bent. I was able to straighten them a bit but it isn't ideal is it.

September 2013 bent prop.

August 2014 bent prop.

I'm sure there will be lots of other things we will need but my head is too full already.

4 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Oh dear, Tony, I am now thinking of what supplies I should get on board for this year's cruising - but it would use up our luggage allowance x 3 ...
One thing I am going to get as soon as we arrive back in the UK is another pack of puppy training pads for the engine bilge - they were great value and very efficient - look for them in the low cost shops. We got a pack of 40 for ~£5 in Tamworth I think. I cannot remember the name of the shop but it was like a Wilkos store but cheaper, if that's possible!
Weather still fabulously hot and sunny here and we are now hanging out for rain. Only 68 sleeps for us till we are on our way to the UK!
Cheers, M&D

Unknown said...

Hi Tony. Have you tried Ikea for your LED light bulbs? We have bought most of ours from there.

NB Holderness said...

Hi Marilyn, I'm surprised that you have found time to read blogs as you seem to be up to your armpits in paint, paper and blinds. It is looking very good though I must say. I think we will stick to the compost loo rather than puppy pads thanks! It is amazing how quickly the time is coming round to setting off again. Cheers for now, Tony.

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann, I have just had a look at Ikea and realised that I'm not sure what type of fitting they are so will have to do some more research next time at the boat. There are plenty around it is just if they interfere with the radios etc, and of course the price.

Cheers for now, Tony.