Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Friday 31st October.

We started getting ready to leave the boat with a heavy heart as always. First thing was to fill up with diesel so that there was no air gap in the top, of the tank that would encourage condensation and the fuel bug to grow. This meant leaving our berth and heading to the winding place to moor again by the fuel point. I expected between 50 and 60 litres would be needed and was relieved when it stopped at 59.1lt.

Holderness on her moorings. I'm not sure whether we will be able to get out easily if a boat moors on our port side.
Once we got back we were mainly packed up so whilst I did the outside chores and Helen started to clean through. My jobs were to check all the padlocks and hinges were sprayed with WD40 and also the external electrical components. I tied up with our short old ropes and stowed our long, newer ones inside. I rigged up the shore line to the boat. The card reader is in a very difficult place to access, and a £10 card only seemed to put £4-50 of electricity on. When I spoke to Angela in the office she said that they are having trouble with some of the boxes and an electrician is due soon and she would add more on for us and keep an eye on it for us. We will see what happens. I set the solar panels to best advantage in case the shore power failed. I cleared out he lockers and stowed the gear inside and similarly the roof stuff. I was also taking the gear bit by bit to the car and the rubbish to the skip. I also paid the bill for the moorings and fuel. The boat could have done with a wash outside but all the little jobs seemed to be going on and we were getting m,ore depressed about leaving so we did the main stuff and packed everything in the car, just and left about 1400. We did remember the cat, but not her tray so had to stop on the way home. There are one or two other things that we have left but it is just an excuse to go back again soon. It will be a good base to do Christmas shopping I reckon as there is a good market at Dewsbury and Wakefield and Leeds are not far away.

 This is the arm. Where the car park is was the site of more mills.
The stone building is the old mill stables and now houses the coffee shop and cafe below and the Leggers pub above. The white building is the marina office.

Folk seem friendly so we hope all will be well at Savile Town Wharf and 'Holderness' will be safe and sound over the winter. We do intend to visit regularly and maybe even take her out for a spin before the end of March. It is less than 150 days until our next cruise starts, and we have all the fun of 'planning' it too.

I will continue to blog a couple of times a week with interesting and relevant stuff, well I hope some of you will find it interesting and relevant. Thanks for looking in so far this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am as sad as you that your sailing year has come to an end, I love reading your blog. Roll on next March!
Ann x