Total Pageviews

Friday 17 October 2014

Ticking over the top of the Macc.

We had a bit of a lay in this morning after our visit last night. When the Hurricane heating came on the alarm also came on when it shut down. I had been half expecting it as yesterday I had seen a little water in the vicinity but as it had been raining I put it down to that. I was going to check it when we stopped but as it was raining and we had to dash out I left it. The sun was shinning this morning and so I dived in the engine hole to see what was what. There was nothing obvious so I tried to nip up the jubilee clips on the new hoses. There was a fair bit to take up so I had my fingers crossed that was all it was. I then checked the overflow tank and fortunately there was still a bit in the bottom of the tank so the system should still be fairly full. I still had some coolant left from the change over so I topped up the tank and then started bleeding through all the radiators. Once I got to the bedroom one I could see water leaking and thought that I have left the bleed valve open somehow. When I looked closely it was the connection of the valve to the radiator and I found that the nut was only just on. I nipped them up and all seemed good. Havinbg bled the radiators I then went to the new bleed valves installed on the new hoses on the inlet/outlet on top of the Hurricane. I turned it on and all seemed fine. After getting it up to heat and checking all connections I shut it down and bleed everything again and hopefully all is well. Whilst I was down in the engine hole I did some little jobs and cleaned everything up. The Hurricane has done 460 hours in two years so will need a service in another couple of years at this rate.

It was gone 1100 by the time we set off. Just before we did a boat passed us going in our direction and another peeled off the moorings further down so we were dawdling along to start with to get some space between us.

Clarence Mill looked great in the morning sun. It is one of the mills that seems to be well looked after and well utilised. Many seem to be derelict and if in use look a little seedy.

The Macclesfield canal north of Bollington is very picturesque and wasn't too busy today. There seems to be a fair few spots for mooring in the countryside too.

The Peak District Hill come down to the canal on approach to Poynton.

Before getting to Poynton we met a boat coming through the bridge hole and slowed to wait for him. Once passed we pulled out to line up with the bridge to be met with another boat just there. I have no idea why the first boat didn't say anything to us. The full astern meant that I had to juggle about to get the bow out of the way for him to come through but all well in the end. Our plan was to stop at Poynton for water but there seemed to be a scrum of boats there. We continued on but this stretch of the canal isn't my favourite as you seem to be on tick over for ever.

At High Lane we passed the historic North Cheshire Cruising Club. The arm was originally dug in 1830 and was T shaped. The south end of the T was for loading coal from the local pits and the north end had a crane and warehouse and wharfingers cottage. The warehouse is now the club house. The south part of the T was filled in when the pits closed and it is now L shaped.

The NCCC is the first cruising club set up on the canals and that was as far back as 1943 although they had formed a group in 1937 to fit being charged rates for their boathouses on the arm for which they are famous. They lost their fight

This old photo shows some of the boat house.

This photo taken today from the canal, rather than from on top of the bridge still shows that at least some of the boathouses are still there.

The NCCC are also famous for being a leading light in saving the Macclesfield Canal from closure in 1955. This would have meant the loss of the Peak Forest and Ashton Canals and so no Cheshire Ring. We should all hold them in high esteem for what they helped to preserve for all of us.

The entrance to the arm in 1969 with the weigh house on the left and the large warehouse in the centre.

The warehouse today as the NCCC club house.

Goyt Mill with Marple Church in the background.

We found a berth just before Bridge 2 and after mooring up we went for a walk in the town. It has some very nice shops and Helen was impressed with the number of expensive boutiques in the place. We settled for a coffee and cake at the deli.

1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Find the pie shop in Marple - Ashtons or something similar. The pies are great! If I remember rightly, it's across from the Coop. Lovely to read about your travels up the Maccie - considering how long we spent there, it's amazing to read of your speedy trip! Big hugs, M&D