Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 May 2023

Marathon in the Sun.

 This is a nice quiet mooring and it was the early morning joggers that got me stirring today, but about 7 am so not too bad at all.

We carried on to wards Meaford Locks, but only as far as the winding hole. We had a short wait whilst the boat seen ahead of us above had come in the other direction and winded. I bet he was feeling quite smug that he was ahead of us at the locks, until he looked round as saw that we were winding too! Just before there is a house where the bedding plants are a beautiful display. The owner was just girding his loins to plant everything out. I asked if he was late this year, but no apparently he is three days early!

Bridge 96 announces that Stone is the birthplace of the Trent and Mersey Canal as it was actually planned to start from here, about the middle, and move out in either direction.

As we came back towards our mooring a tug pulled away so we thought we would be behind this single hander, but he pulled in and started to set up to tow a boat, so we slipped ahead. However there were still a couple of boats ahead of us and not really setting much of a pace. The weather was so good that Helen shocked the whole of Stone by stripping down to 3 layers only!!. Later still it was reduced to two, almost naked for Helen!

We were bunched up behind the idlers at Aston Lock, and I was preparing myself for an even longer day than we had expected. Locking back from Aston Lock the swans are sitting and the may is out.

The weather must have been warm as these youngsters were bathing in the canal. Had nobody told them it was not allowed? I had seen lapwings and oyster catchers by this point. I was cheered as both the boats ahead of us turned into Aston Marina. RESULT.

I liked the look of this oak above Sandon Lock. Oaks can live to 1,000 years old and are considered 'Ancient' after 400 years. They continue to grow and produce acorns until around 700 years old. Only one in 10,000 acorns grows into a tree! They are very important as around 2,300 species are supported by oak trees. They need to be worshiped once again.

Launch 'Tamburo' deserves a photo each time we pass as it is so well looked after. Even the little cog boat is immaculate.

The carriage bridge at Great Haywood always looks nice. Here it is still in the shade with the trees beyond in full sun. Great Haywood was pretty busy with few mooring available above the lock, and loads of folks having a wander on the towpath.

In places the 'fluff' from the goat willow trees made big carpets on the water. You had to be careful in places not to breath it in too. We seemed to meet a boat coming up the locks at each set we came across, but didn't catch up with anybody going our way so we were able to continue on our way.

The sun has finally brought out the may blossom and will be even better next week I'm sure.

Our plan was to have a marathon in the sun and moor up somewhere in Handsacre and get the Eurovision on the TV. Handsacre was full and we kept going until we found a nice mooring, which was not far round the corner from Bridge 56. My first reflection picture of the year. We left Star Lock eight hours before we arrived here so not bad going. The weather was perfect of it too.

To pass the time I did a little survey as I went along. I missed a few boats as we met either leaving locks, or similar spots and missed the information, but between Aston Lock and Handsace I checked 17 boats, only 2 were hire boats. I suppose as we were at the largely Saturday changeover period. I checked that they had a name, displayed a licence, and my old bugbear, whether they had fenders up or down. I think that it is part of the licence requirements that the name of the vessel is displayed on both side as is the licence.

24% had no name displayed, 76% did.
29% did not display a licence, 71% did. I did not check that they were in date though! I was only recording boats coming in the opposite direction so they passed very quickly and on the new 'disc' it is not easy to see.
With regard to fenders up or down. 41% had them down and 58% had them up whilst underway. This seems a little better than previously I have looked at this and it was closer to 50/50.

Eurovision mania is at its peak at the moment so I had better go and see what it is all about.

No comments: