Total Pageviews

Tuesday 27 September 2022

Treemendous Day.

 There was a bit of rain before we got up, but when I opened the back doors the sun was shining, but not for long. Last time we moored here the trains were on strike so we had not been disturbed at all. I'm pleased to say I wasn't disturbed this time either.

We were off pretty promptly this morning, despite the unappealing weather. As I was letting go an hire boat passed and I exchanged pleasantries with the Americans aboard. Then after I followed them I passed a boat that was just letting go to return the favour. By the time we got to Colwich Lock the Americans were just heading into the lock. He made a great run in and it turns out they were on their 5th week, so he had definitely got the hang of it. The boat we had passed was one we had moored by a couple of days before. The bloke had said he was swapping with his son and wife so I was able to say hi.

The farmer just let the girls out to cross the bridge to the yard as we were lowering down. The other girls were fascinated.

Just before Wolseley Bridge is this row of cottages. It seemed strange to have them on the off side and along way from anywhere else. When I look on the 1881 OS map they are called Wolseley Warehouse and the buildings are more numerous.

It looks like the surviving cottages is the bit roughly parallel to the canal. I assume that there was a wharf here too. The gardens of the current cottages are always a pleasure to pass.

After Wolseley Bridge I enjoy thre tunnel of trees. I had read that there was a boat house here, associated with Bishton Hall, but have never caught site of it. I had though that it was for a boat on the River Trent that was right next to the canal. However when looking at the map for the Wolseley Warehouse I noticed that there was a little indent that could well be a mooring for a boat. I will have to check again next time we pass as it is right opposite the house, but I think I would have noticed something if it had been obvious.

They do afternoon teas at Bishton Hall now. It may be worth a look next time we pass as they also have a set of posh shops that Helen likes looking around. When is her birthday?

Unlike the Horse Chestnut trees that seem to have suffered badly over the drought the Sweet Chestnut seems to be doing very well, with plenty of fruits too. It is commonly thought that the Roman's brought the sweet chestnut over with them but it seems it may have been introduced quite a bit later than that. The trees do not bear fruits until they are 25 years old, but they can live to 700! I do love a roast chestnut though. Another Hull Fair smell and taste.

The Oaks also seem to have an abundance of acorns this year, and there is a regular plop as another drops in the cut as we pass. We should all pocket a few and plant them up to grow at home, and then when they have grown into whips plant them somewhere suitable as the oak tree, that was once the raw material of the Royal Navy now is a life support system for wild life. The Woodland Trust say that the oak 2,300 species are supported by oak trees. Not only that 326 species depend on the oak for their survival and 279 species are rarely found on any other tree. When an oak is 400 years old it is referred to as an Ancient tree. The quick way of estimating a tree's age is to measure the girth in cm, about 1m from the ground and divide by 2.5 as the girth expands approx. 2.5 cm a year. Go hug a tree.

The trees at the sharp turn after the Trent Aqueduct at Brindley Bank always look nice.

We stopped for some shopping just after the new piling where the grab was dredging by the Armco and filing in behind. We were moored just behind a boat from Hull. I could see he was using some electrical equipment on his roof. Then there was a violet curse and a splash as it landed in the water. It seems that it was a DeWalt drill! When we passed we said hello as the boat had Hull on he side. He already had a magnet out and was fishing for it. We popped to Tesco's and then had lunch when we got back and then headed off once again.

The warehouse opposite the Tesco moorings has not deteriorated much, but does need seeing too. The rain came and went, but I really didn't get wet really. There was a little wind that made it feel cooler, but luckily for me (Helen had found some thing to do inside) it was largely from astern so all in all not too bad at all.

We passed our Marina and carried on a little before mooring above Woodend Lock. As I was mooring up I could see the three towers of Lichfield Cathedral that I had never noticed before. I got the aerial up as I am told it is 'Bake Off' tonight and to earn a few brownie points the TV was tuned in and all ready to go.


No comments: