Total Pageviews

Friday 23 September 2022

Lightening does Strike Twice.

 What a lovely morning to get up to, sun shining and not too chilly even first thing. I love this time of the year when the sun still has warmth in it and the leaves are just starting to go. The light is also so beautiful.

After passing the Armitage Shanks factory, where I resisted taking a photograph,  couldn't resist the light and dark at Bdg. 60 on the bend with the church above. No boats to avoid today either.

There was nothing coming either as we passed through the ex Armitage Tunnel. The dappled light is great, and I was pleased that despite taking several photos I didn't touch the sides, which are very close together in places!

On the approaches to Rugeley (Ash Tree Boat Club, I think) this heron was using the fender as a vantage point.
We stopped in Rugeley for some shopping and to look for a few other bits for me. I was unlucky with my search, but we did get food etc for the next few days, and top up the store. We arrived about 1020 and finally left about around 2pm, after lunch.

The clock tower and entrance is all that remain of the Town Hall and Indoor Market Hall. The joint building was erected in 1878/79. It was also the local police station until 1908! The rest of the building was knocked down in 1978. The new market is a corrugated shed type affair.

There is to be even more moorings at Rugeley as the piling is steadily extending after Tesco's Bridge. It is a shame that more towns and villages don't make it easy for boaters to moor up as I expect the town of Rugeley take a fair bit over the counter from boaters over a year.

Above Colwich Lock is this shed. I can't help thinking that it could be utilised for something. Maybe a coffee stop/cafe. Or do you think there is anything stored in it?


The sun was shining on Shugborough Hall as we approached Great Hayward and I couldn't resist taking the picture. It wasn't too busy and we hadn't really to wait at either Colwich or Hayward Locks, just a little to let a boat out.

As I was waiting for the boat to leave at Hayward Lock I took a picture of the fudge boat and the carriage bridge looking back towards Colwich. I just love the light and shade.

As we were popping up in the lock these gents passed us. It is interesting to note that they are practicing river rescues and the like at a time of 'drought' in the country. There was another group doing the same as we passed this way last, going in the opposite direction.

Just another picture with the lovely autumn low and reddened light I'm afraid.

We were up through Hoo Mill Lock in the sun and looking forward to a mooring after Weston Lock. Helen was looking at the Pearson's Guide to look up what we had ahead of us as we were doing the Four Counties Ring, when my phone dings. It is an alert from the C&RT. I look and see it is regarding the Trent and Mersey so open it to check it out. And there it is! Heartbreak Hill is closed once again!! So we have another day in Stone, like our last time, before turning round and finding somewhere else to go! Thinking caps on.


No comments: