Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 May 2024

Poor Planning and fun in the sun.

 Web got away at 0930 and were surprised that so few boats h ad come past us, one only. We also commentated that all the boats were heading in the opposite direction

Once through the bridge on the bend by t park water point moorings is the old canal going off to follow the contours that once went to Cosford to cross the River Swift, past Brownsover Hall, before arriving back at the current route of the canal the other side of the aqueducts a few hundred yards further on. In the 1820's the canal was straightened as they now knew how to build better embankments and cuttings, and managed to chop 20 miles off the distance. The part of the route to Cosford in still in water as it is a feeder from the river to the canal.

The weather was superb and it was lovely and quiet as we made our way out of Rugby.

There are a couple of aqueducts on this straight, the first over the River Swift and the second over a road. This was part of the 1820's route that cut out the Brownsover Arm.

We were soon at Newbold Tunnel and as it had been so quiet we were surprised to see  a boat coming in the opposite direction, we were out of the tunnel before we met it though. I wonder why it had a towpath on both sides as there is no towpath to it or away from it on the off side!

We were loving the peace and quiet and were planning on a meal out tonight at the Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction. We passed Brinklow Marina entrance and after passing the old Boat in by Bridge 35 we passed a couple of Fishermen who just as we passed happened to ask if we knew that the canal was closed a bit further along!!!! I replied no, and had the long straight through the lovely All Oak Wood to check and see if he was correct.

Of course he was. I was sure I had checked the stoppages when planning the trip, how could I miss this? No wonder all the boats were pointing one way. No wonder it was so beautifully quiet! We cleared the wood and moored up by the car park at the far end of the wood. Despite the canal being been locked there were still several boats moored here so we were still lucky to find a spot!

I wandered up a a little way to see  if there was any possibility of a wider bit of canal that we  could wind in. No chance. So back to the boat for lunch and to come up with a plan.

After lunch I prepared our anchor chain in a bunch as a bit of a clump weight and pushed the bow out into the middle of the cut before chucking it over the bow and making it fast. We then went astern with the weight keeping the bow in the middle of the canal.

We had no trouble as we backed down through the straight of Old Oak Wood. Putting on opposite lock on the tiller allowed us to steer a straight line as the bow reacted very slowly, but decipherably to allow us to stay in the middle. When we got back to the fishermen I decided to haul the boat past them and a couple of boats as I didn't want to disturb them too much. The bloke who had told us about the closure then said that a boat had managed to wind just on the bend. It didn't look likely to me, but I had a go. But no success, and we hauled the boat past the anglers, two boats and through bridge 35.

There were a couple more bends to negotiate so we did this without the clump weight with a bit of back and filling, but once back on the straight section I chucked the anchor chain over again and off we went.

All in all we reversed back over 3/4 mile I would say. The straight was fine, as were shallow curves, but the system didn't work on bends and we had to go back a short way to retrieve our pole that had come of the roof without either of us noticing!! The first available winding point was the entrance to Brinklow Marina and we headed in stern first once I had again brought the anchor chain up.

Once round we headed back towards Rugby, and there it is the sign warning of 'Navigation Closed'. At this point I should own up that I had seen this sign, and in my complete confidence that I had checked for closures, I assumed that it was a temporary closure of the entrance to the Marina. Helen was making a pot of teas as we passed. If it had said something like Last winding point before canal blockage I think I may have felt differently.

I must say I do get the updates of stoppages etc on my phone, but obviously it doesn't tell you what stoppages there were before you indicated the canal you were interested in. Completely my fault as I thought I had checked, but obviously hadn't, but it could have been clearer at this point. The fishermen told us that somebody had done the same last Tuesday, but had managed to wind before Bridge 35.

It made me laugh as a stoppage notice appeared on my phone as we  approached Newbold Tunnel from the opposite direction telling me that the stoppage was due to be lifted on May 18th! Just a bit of a delay for us!!

We stopped for a top up of water just after the tunnel, by the Barley Mow pub and then moved on through the next bridge and moored up in a patch of sun. After another cup of tea I decided not to waste the weather and early finish and set to with some sanding and painting as it is set fair for a few days.

We had planned to go for  a meal at the Greyhound at Hawkesbury but ended up at the Barley Mow pub for a few pints of Landlord, a perfectly adequate meal and a couple of episodes of 'Heart Beat' on the TV. Helen wouldn't leave until she knew what happened. An extra point for me then.


2 comments:

Adam said...

I nearly commented on the last post to check you knew about the landslip! Even without the stoppages notice, I’m surprised you haven’t seen any of the dramatic drone footage of the site, with the road they’ve had to build to access it. I think they’ve actually done really well if it can be reopened on 18th.

NB Holderness said...

Him Adam, There have been so many landslips this winter I can't keep up. I have had a look since and it is impressive what the have done. And it will be a big chunk of money too. I wonder if they have managed to remove the big orange fender/float protecting a minor slip and tree trunk on the off side that has been there for donkeys years.