Total Pageviews

Friday 7 July 2023

Shropshire and the Staffordshire.

 There were plenty of boats going in both directions before we set off this morning in occasional sunny periods

Looking back at Brewod Church reminds me somewhat of the church at Braunston

Last night Macy decided she wanted to go for a bit of a walk. Somewhat problematic as she is pretty deaf and blind. However I walked about with her just in case a dog appeared etc. This morning she was sitting on the back step wanting to go out so we sat her down. She soon got fed up of the vibrations over the engine I think and went to sit on the front step instead.

The last boat to pass us never really got above tick over once we had passed the moorings and with the best will in the world That speed wouldn't suit us today. I gave him time to speed up, or allow us to pass, but although seeing us, he just ignored us.I don't understand this as it can not be conducive to relaxed boating having a boat close astern. ( I was not this close all the time I assure you), just as it is not relaxing being stuck behind somebody going much slower than you want to. I  believe he should have the right to go as slow as he wants, just as I have the right to go as fast as I want, within the regulations so why not just pullover and let the fate boat past. That is what we try to do. In the end I closed to this distance so Helen could ask him if it would be alright for us to pass! He let us. 

As we passed Wolverhampton Boat club we came across two hire boats go very slowly too. hey were travelling together and doing it slowly, despite only a 6" drop at the stop lock. Obviously the the guy I had overtaken caught us up. He was able to make a sarky comment when they arrived, so I hope it made him feel better. I just thanked him and asked him if had enjoyed the leg. He said no as he kept going aground?

It is a shame that the toll house isn't featured more. I don't know why, but it always makes me think of an Indian bungalow.

The Pendeford Rockings were pretty chaotic as the two slow hire boats had gone that way and there was much traffic heading towards them. For the first time ever that I can remember we paused to let a couple of boats pass at one of the bays cut for that reason.

A boat made use of the winding hole before Hatherton Junction, and by the time he was round and heading in the same direction as us there were three boats behind me.

By the time we had reached Gailey we ad caught up with the two hire boats and there were four boats behind us!. Then wanted to come off the fuel berth and head down the locks. When we got on the landing by the water point we connected to the hose and were full before we had to move off towards the lock.

The round house was looking ice with the roses, and the shop is till open.

I often try to catch a picture of the numerous herons that fly off as we approach and never get the timing right. As we approached Brick Kiln Lock I managed it!

The girls at Otherton Lock Looking forward to mooring up and eating out. Otherton Lock is still like a Whirl Pool with bubbles everywhere.

We were expecting the moorings to be full so took the first one we could after Filance Bridge, despite the armco being well battered. Quite a good idea s it turned out. We went to the Cross Keys for a pint of Banks' mild and then on to the Star before getting food at the Boat. 

Walking back to the boat via the towpath and the horse tunnel at Penkridge Lock meant we could see how good was our stopping as soon as we did, as there was no room up to the service, and one of the two hire boats was on the lock landing!

It is market day here tomorrow, so I am told that we are having a look around before we leave. I am on the look out for a couple of things too, so no argument from me.


2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Slow boats can be really stressful, I find. We caught up with a slow moving day boat today and I asked them if we could overtake. They were happy for us to do so, but then zigzagged across the cut trying to decide which side they should be on. A good natured group though. And we have seen them twice since - on their way to Atherstone and on their way back, with big waves and smiles each time.

I am not sure if we will see you as we both make our way around the 4 counties ring. I hope so!

Cheers and hugs, Marilyn

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both,
Some times it is great to dawdle along, and others you need to get from A to B, but basically nobody should impose on another what they want to do (so long as it is allowed), and just let them pass.

We are done and dusted for this trip, and have no idea when we can get away again. Very busy time for me coming up. We have tried 3 times to get round the Four Counties, and have been stymied until now. I see there is a stoppage at a lock now, so good luck. With warmer weather due and the Macclesfield/Peak Forest Canals closed I can see severe restrictions coming in the area.

Happy Sailings where ever you get to.

Tony and Helen