Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 July 2022

Slow Going.

 It rained in the night, but I had to be told that by Helen as I slept through until after 06:00 when there was a bit more rain, but only slight precipitation. We had a bit of a lay in as the rain was supposed to cease and I wanted to get a coat of paint on the work I sanded on the hull. After breakfast I listened to the Archers and whilst it was on the rain stopped so I dashed out dried off the bit of hull and got the paint out. Bad mistake, as of course, just as I was about half way it started spitting quite a bit and I had to back up. It seemed to stop again and out I went again. However it started more heavily and the window got up too and now the undercoat is pock marked with water marks and worse still it has bits of hay stuck to it. Hey Ho, it will keep me a busy a little longer than I had expected.

Lots of boats had passed when we finally left, most going our way, but two or three heading towards Stone.



This weather seems to have put the harvest on hold for now, but the straw and hay makes me think of a box of Lego or Duplo. The wrapped bales are obviously to make silage, where it is allowed to 'rot' down. I thought they may have added something like molasses but I could well be wrong there. It has to be tightly baled after it has been allowed to lay for a little as it should be about 60% moisture, and then covered to exclude oxygen as this means better fermentation and less spoiling. The other uncovered bales must be for bedding and have come from a wheat crop rather than grass. I have seen rectangular bales covered in plastic too. I get that with mechanical handling large bales are more economical, but surely making them angular, rather than like these round, would take up less space, but maybe when for silage corners may result in more damage to the bales during handling?

We arrived at Sandon lock and there was a queue of boats waiting to go down. There was one coming up too. I always find these queues interesting as folk are used to doing their own thing and when the lock wheelers are off to attend to the lock, and when the landing isn't long enough to accommodate all the boats people are out of their comfort zones, especially when the space is limited further by moored boats a bit further up the cut. Some shuffle up as soon as there is a space but others just sit and wait their turn where they are. n the past I have misunderstood the reason for a large gap and have passed and moored ahead of a waiting boat. They became most indignant that I was queue jumping. My patience is sorely tested at times like this. Today the bloke on the boat behind kept pulling his boat along and banging in to my stern, which I didn't think was cricket. The bloke ahead decided using his ropes wasn't for him and jumped aboard his boat and set off ahead. But he didn't as he was slightly aground at the stern. So instead of jumping off he just applied more power, and off my bow went!

These Muscovy ducks took everything in their stride and were very loath to give up their spot. I thought I would make room for the boat behind on the lock landing with the bollards by putting my bow in the neck of the lock, and quicker to enter too. Of course a boat turned up at the bottom of the lock to come up. I had enough room to let him out though

I'm not sure if the Himalayan Balsm's flowers change colour over their life, or plants next to each other can have a variation in colour from pure white, to pink to purple. Doesn't show it too well above.

These pictures of Salt's Bridge, No.82. Much more fancy than the usual bridge due to the proximity of Sandon Hall. The top picture is the view of it heading towards Stone and looks very fancy with it's almost Norman like archways of brick. The lower picture is the same bridge heading south! The bridge hasn't been widened, or at least it doesn't look as though it has, so why have both side been bult so very different, but with similarities?

We only had one train pass on the line when were were right beside it, but I love the trees of the woods of Sandon Hall. They must be forming a sort of arboretum as there is a great selection of texture and colour, obviously at its best in autumn. There is the very top of the William Pitt monument too. (Must be the worst photo ever on this blog).

Canada geese are often seen with other species mingled, pink footed geese quite often, but this one was a white goose but had colour on it wings. It was certainly the leader as the others just followed what ever it did. Can these geese interbreed?

One of the boats a few ahead of us at the lock was moored at Weston but there was room for us and we pulled in. I don't think that was what caused them to instantly leave, I think that they had just stopped for lunch. We pulled up to another boat astern as this is a popular mooring, but by the time we had finished and were heading into the boat another boat had decided to stop too, and moored up right in the middle of a two berth spot. Several boats have dithered wondering about getting in, or asking his to move up, but he is still there!

We decided on a little walk into Weston, partly to check if there was a shop in the village despite not one on line etc. As soon as we got off the tow path it started to rain so we had a dash a round the green and back. The cottages by the gate from the moorings are wonderfully colourful at the moment, and have homemade bird boxes for sale too.

Looks to be dry but overcast tomorrow, but it is quite pleasant standing on the back deck, so no moans from me. I'm just heading out to set the television up to get a Sunday fix.


No comments: