Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 April 2022

Fradley, Fill up and Flying off Home

It was a bit of a mad dash day yesterday. We had to get from Fradley to Kings Bromely and then to go to the theater at 18:00.

One boat had passed us before we were ready to start out early in the sunshine. However plans were disrupted when a volunteer lock keeper from Fradley leapt aboard just as we were letting go and drove off on the boat!!

I managed to get aboard just as he left the side and was grappling for control, and succeeded as we approached the swing bridge. I was able eject the interloper ashore as we passed through. It was a short hijack, visit from our favourite volunteer lock keeper on the system (he paid me to say that!), and he had to be at the visitor centre at 10:00 anyway.

The junction was quite quiet with just the Great Haywood boats for sale moored up along the wall to look at.

The wind can blow across this stretch and when it is really busy there is nowhere to go, and with boats perhaps funneling in from Alrewas and the Coventry Canal it can be mayhem, but not today, all was quite and there were voluntary keepers on at Middle Lock.

Shadehouse Lock in the distance with Helen doing what Helen does best in the sunshine.

Apparently Woodend Lock Cottage has been bought by HS2 and is toi be demoilished, so I thought I would get a photo of it whilst it is still there. I wonder what will happen to the teapot collection at the lock? Wonderously we timed it perfectly with a boat leaving the lock. Useually there is a queue, much like Colwich Lock near Great Haywood.The offside moorings are slowly being vacated so they must have been ordered off, or made an offer they can't refuse. Mind you I'm not sure it would be my preferred mooring now! We also heard that Shadehouse House has also been bought by HS2 and is being rented out by them to see what happens in the future.

The stretch of the Trent and Mersey has been much photographed by me over the years, and it still get my snap as we pass.

Something seems to be happening at Kings Bromley and old dairy as it seems to have been tarted up a bit.

With its pebble dash coat this house by the creamery seems to be more modern but underneath it has been there from at least 1881 as it appears on the map from then. The area around it has been cleared. I wonder hwat will happen next.

Just to prove the sun was out her is my shadow. I like this picture as I look thinner and taller, and these days I'll take that.

The turn into the marina went well and then the spin round to go stern on to the fuel berth to fill up and take a gas bottle. It was time to find out whether the fuel prices had gone through the roof or not. Moorers get a discount on the fuel so it didn't mean will have to sell the boat. I think the full price was £150p. Then there was the challenge of swing the boat around again and head to our berth. The wind was gusty from the north and our mooring is east/west. Of course being a Saturday there were plenty of folk out pottering, and watch.  An early turn and getting the bow sufficiently round to allow us to be blown down sideways and backing close enough to the end of our jetty for me to pull her in as the bow came in line. I was quite proud of myself. No applause though.

There was a quick squaring up, packing up and settling up and we were off. We were off to see the musical 'Six' in Hull and an early performance at 18:00. You have to admire the girls as they were never off the stage and they had to do it all again at 20:30? It was worth the trip up and then a meal out with No.1 daughter too.

These days we have very bitty boating, not like the 'old days' when we went away for months, and it will be June before we get away again. I am super busy as I have an exhibition on the Falklands to curate and finalise over the next two weeks. This is alongside final rehersals for the Babershop Convention competitions in Harrogate at the end of the month with men's and mixed choruses. I have to get my sons new house decorated before he comes home to, so his family can move in soon after he arrives, and then at the end No.1 daughter and I will be walking the 170 odd miles of the Offa's Dyke path, so will need to get some miles under the belt for that too. All in all it seems doubtful that I will find time for blogging for a while. I hope that by the time I do get back there will still be some of you that will read this stuff, and not all deserted to the Vlogging world. Everybody and his dog seem to be doing that these days, but the bloggers are thinning out all the time.

Hope to see you on the other side.




4 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I think Woodend Lock cottage is staying, it is owned by HS2 who were renting it out, but the plans changed after they bought it. I understand that it and the moorings will be closed until the HS2 work there is completed. I could of course be completely wrong.

I have often wondered about the empty house at KB Wharf and why all the moorings went.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Tony. So do keep it up - and blog about the things you are going to be doing before June's next boating bit, please!

Hugs to you both, M&Dxx

NB Holderness said...

Hi Brian/Diana, we will see what occurs at Woodend, and the rest of the system as the HS2 project is in a constant state of flux, and what ever the plans were, will not necessarily be what they end up being. Enjoy your time out in this good weather, and thanks for reading.
Cheers for now, Tony and Helen.

NB Holderness said...

David and Marilyn, thanks for continuing to read these sribblings. The reason I'm not on the boat is because I am so busy doing other stuff. That would generally preclude me having the time to post stuff about the things that are stopping me getting away!
However I will try and put up the odd stuff so that folk can see we are still alive. Lots of bloggers just seem to disappear!
I hope you are both well, and are once again talking to each other.
Cheers for now, Tony and Helen.