Total Pageviews

Friday 7 September 2018

So That's That!

The weather yesterday was lovely and calm so ideal weather for us to enter the marina that we will be seeing a lot of this winter. We were going to take on fuel to top up the tank to prevent any air laying at the top of the tank creating moisture when cooled that would go on to promote the possibility of the fuel bug. There is a one way system in the marina so the entrance is near the Aston Lock and the exit through the marina and out at the bottom. The fuel and office etc is about half way down where the water surface is 'pinched' to allow a bridge to pass to the other side. Under the bridge is the mooring for services. Somebody was just finishing taking fuel etc. They had come the wrong way down the one way street! We didn't have long to wait and were soon in the office sorting out the bits and pieces required for our mooring and then filling up with fuel, 78.7p/ltr. We then went round the course again and as we are in the top end of the marina we easily backed in and made fast to our berth

We went for a walk to check out where we were to be staying and looked back from the bridge to our moorings. The building is the Boathouse and No.26 which looks like a very fancy restaurant and bar. Helen had a coffee there when I was at home and it looks very nice indeed. Good for a treat. One of the perks of mooring here is that you get 10% of what you spend on account that you can spend at a later date.

I went home the next day by train to pick up the car and return for Helen and Macy. The marina say that it is 20 min. walk to Stone, but it took me 30 mins, and I have long legs! I did notice that there is a new M&S Food Hall by Star Lock now. The London North Western train was 20 minutes late due to signalling problems. As my connection at Stoke, one stop down the line, was only 20 mins later I was resigned to missing it and having to sort out an alternative. Much to my delight the Cross Country Train that was to take me to Manchester Piccadilly had also been delayed by the signaling trouble so I was fine. My wait for the Transpennine Express to Hull was 45 mins so I was easily on schedule! Just so you all know the trip from Manchester to Hull takes 2 hours. It takes 3 hours from Hull to London. Roll on the Northern Gateway.

I was most grateful to my son who cam and picked me up to take me home despite becoming a new father only 20 hours earlier. I was able to have a cuddle with little Penny Porter later in the evening.

Helen was up early this morning, as she had, to make her own tea I suspect, and she took this fantastic picture looking south to the bridge across the waist of the marina. You can see the service jetty as well as the pump out point an fuel.

Looking towards the entrance one the sun had got up the mist soon burned off and Aston Church stands out like a space ship.

Between the canal and the marina is a mound that has cropped grass with several seats where you can look over the marina or west over the countryside.

 The berths are secured by a wire fence and a moat! There are only a few bridges over the water and they are protected by electronic gates. Each boat is given two little fobs to open the gates and the barrier to the car park.

This is the entrance and the lock is very close by to the right.

There are several jobs that need doing when we go back to the boat. I managed to get a good polish on the roof, but I need to polish/protect the rest before the winter comes along. Still, it looks quite good from this distance.

Our good looks are enhanced as we are moored between two older boats. The electricity is via card into the slot type. I have noticed that despite being on the shore power the solar still contributes so reducing the cost of over winter electricity. I didn't realise this as when the alternator on  the engine is running the solar can  not contribute. I shall have to investigate further to how it happens.

I had an appointment in the morning but as soon as that was completed I head back to Helen to pack up and bring her home. It took about 2hours 30mins so is a good journey. Unfortunately it was raining when I arrived so packing up and carrying the stuff on trolleys up the ramp to the car park was not ideal, however it was intermittent so could fit it in between the heavier showers. The journey back was a bit busier but again was fine. 

The washing machine was on as soon as we walked through the door, and first load is down. I was very pleased to see that the grass wasn't too bad. I have only had to cut the grass twice since the end of March, and the last time it was all looked very dry and I just tidied it up. I thought with the recent rain it may have taken off but no, well within easily cut height.

That is us back home now, but we are already programming in time on the boat. If the weather is half decent we will get out and about as well as doing all the jobs that are required. What a summer we have had! The weather has been superb. I think we have only got damp once or twice. We have not done as many miles, or locks as previous years, but we have been on several new waterways, for us. Over the Ribble to the Lancaster Canal, crossed the Mersey and up and down the full length of the Manchester Ship Canal were some of the highlights.

I will be adding blogs as I think of something to say, and of course there are the summaries of the year along with my accounts after Christmas. It is always sad when we leave the boat at the end of the season, but we now through ourselves into our other life. At one time I thought I would like to live on the boat full time, but sharing half and half, usually, we get the best of both worlds, and two completely different lives.

3 comments:

Adam said...

You were lucky to have a non-windy day there! I’ve done some boat tests from that marina, and the wind usually seems to blow straight down it, making it really difficult to get into the berths along each side.

Glad to hear there’s a new Porter in the world!

I’ve also found that the solar contributes when the shore line is plugged in. From monitoring it one winter’s day on board, I reckoned the charger only took from the mains when the batteries got down to around 85 per cent, whereas the solar puts in pretty much all the time.

NB Holderness said...

Hi Adam,
I was at a lecture today to hear that there was a seaman from Hull in the 1400's called John Porter who sailed to the Baltic and Iceland, so it must be in the blood! I watched a guy make several attempts to go stern first into a pontoon yesterday. He went round twice, but in the end just went in stern first. The biggest problem is folk seem to want to fight the wind rather than use it. It may mean altering what they have done in the past, and folk don't take to change easily.

The use of thew solar over the winter means that the electricity can be saved for the really cold periods.

Sorry we have crossed paths this year. Maybe next as we should be heading further south.

Cheers for now, Tony and Helen

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

I moored in Aston marina last year for 5 days. It is lovely there and your pictures do it justice. The laundry facilities are quite good--clean, and properly operating, not sucking all the money out of one's wallet and still the clothes are not dry if you know what I mean! I found the food at the restaurant hit or miss. When it was good it was delightful.

Congratulations on your new grandchild!

Love Jaq xxx