Total Pageviews

Monday 26 March 2018

Observations 6, gear.

I am full of admiration for those that take on historic vessels and have the expense and enthusiasm to preserve them in pristine order. I also understand the allure of a nice old engine that chugs away and shining brass work etc. I am less understanding of those with new boats that have Buckby cans and mops on the roof with an electric kettle and microwave inside and false river heads inside. Each to their own of course and they do look the part. The only brass on our boat is the tiller, and I don't think it has been polished, other than by use that is. I suppose that this gets into the same argument as bow thrusters and the like, and really I am ambivalent about it all, as it is what ever each person is happy with.

From the top floor of the waterways museum at Stoke Bruerne there are always plenty of historic boats to take the eye along with plenty of other too on a summers day. Not much brass visible externally on this boats though.

I have also noticed over the last few years that 'must have' equipment to be had at the locks is some fingerless gloves and a holster for your windlass. The holster, for some, may well be a good idea as I must have found a dozen or more windlasses over the last few years. I was watching a film of the old working boats a while back and they seemed to just tuck them into their belts, or hang them off a shoulder. I have also seen the rotary/ratchet windlasses, but not too many. They must be great for those with little arm strength, but they seem to weigh a ton to carry backwards and forwards too. More aluminium windlasses are about too, to cut down on the weight, and I got one for the crew, with a longer throw to help on the more stubborn locks. However you do need to watch your knuckles on some locks where the beams are a bit too close.

Helen showing off the latest summer boating wear, along with her long throw aluminium windlass. I did bolt a strip of steel on it just in case it ever got submerged so I could get it back with the magnet.

Ropes are another thing you can't really do without, but some seem to manage with a bit of parcel string and wonder why they are often returning to their vessel to find it was not quite where they had left it after having broken adrift and been re-moored by some kind soul. I have just bought some more rope and I was toying with the idea of going for 16mm as it is a nicer size to grab hold of with cold hands and non bendy fingers. However I did hold fire and settled on the 14mm as we have now. Anything less and it seems to really cut into your hands with any weight on and hard to get a good grip of. I also get  3 part cable lay rope as it is nice and easy to splice. There is nothing you can do with braided ropes really. I don't think there are many canal boats with white ropes, unlike on the Thames, as they would soon by mucky beige at the best.

Somewhere on the Stratford. I have my for'd mooring line the longest as I adjust the stern line by heaving on the bow line (see previous posts). The crew enjoying the sun despite the trees and hedges about.

A bit of a theme going on here, with the crew relaxing once again. A good mooring for the solar panels here. Low hedge on the towpath side and a field on yonder side.

The length of mooring ropes is also very personal. For the centre lines I just have them long enough to reach the back end of the boat comfortably. This allows you to hop off with them but with no fear that any longer and they could get in your own prop. I think that my mooring lines are maybe a little long but have come in useful on some moorings, say up banks on rivers, or between big mooring posts. Better a bit too long, than a bit too short I suppose. Some big locks like you to have longer lines so that you can pass them up and back down at the bottom of the lock.

A bit of a wait at the top of Marsworth locks. The centre line means that you can just jump off and take a turn on something, or stand and hold it whilst you wait.

There seems to be a fashion in head gear on the canals too. Those big leather cowboy style hats seem to be the thing now. I wonder if there are many that wear traditional garb on their traditional boats, other than at festivals that is. I suppose what would be a trilby and cords or pinny and mop cap in one era would be just an old gabardine coat, great coat or donkey jacket, with any old pair of trousers and a flat cap in an other era. I suppose I am of the flat cap brigade, until it gets too warm then go to a baseball cap. I wear old trousers that can't really be used for anything else until the end of May when, come Hell or High Water I start getting the legs brown with some shorts. I do try to make a bit more of an effort when going ashore to shop or to the pub, but maybe a casual observer may not notice!

Summer head wear on, and legs out. Maybe this is why kids run away when they see me! I have my windlass in my hand or hooked over the gate, in such a manner that if closing the gate it wont be jolted off and into the dock.

Since a nasty incident in Harecastle Tunnel C&RT have been pushing for all to wear a life jacket when transiting. Last year I noticed more people donning them all of the time, and not just children on the hire boats. I wonder if it will become like cycle helmets where they just become almost the norm. We always wear them on the rivers for some reason and not on the canals. The horse collar type are pretty easy to wear and don't get in the way of movement. I know you can stand up in many of the canals, but maybe not if you bang your head on the coping stones of a lock on the way down!

Sporting the winter head gear as we head south down on the Trent. Also wearing the horse collar life jacket. Mind you the life jackets aren't just to be left in a wardrobe until required as the gas cylinders need checking for date and to ensure they haven't set off accidentally. If they are fitted with self inflation the little disc expands when just moist so might activate the cylinder if stowed a way damp after rain, or left in a damp boat over winter. Always a good idea to give them a good check over for condition at the start of each season.

More and more boats are mounting solar panels and their benefits are obvious, especially since their price has come down and the technology of the controllers seems to mean more of it can be harvested. It does therefore irritate me a little that many, if not most, 'official' moorings seem to be under trees.This is obviously not a health place when you get something like the 'Beast from the East' passing through, nor when a flock of starling or pigeons are roosting there. I am always amazed when looking of old footage and photos of canals just how few trees there are. I suppose that the canal companies didn't want them as their roots could damage the banks and their leaves would fill up the canal in winter. Mind you I have been very thankful of a hedge or belt of trees when there has been a wind blowing as they provide a bit of shelter. For us none working boat, leisure boaters they tress and hedges always seem to block the best views and then disappear as you pass through the industrial areas of our towns and cities!?

This mooring near Hopwas Wood on the Coventry is a nice spot but the trees and hedges means that you can not benefit from the sunshine all day. Macy taking a sniff between the inevitable dog walkers.

This mooring on the Thames is made to measure in size and for the solar panels, if not for access as the bank is at roof height!

We are gearing up to returning to 'Holderness' soon. As the Easter Weekend is also the first weekend in April it could well be a very busy time on the cut. Mind you they seem to be telling us that there may well be snow at the weekend again, so that may cause a few delays to people starting off this year.


No comments: